Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: First site!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I just got my first site up using frames. I've been getting many mixed reports on frames and if the search engines really do have problems with them. I would hate to have to change my site already. If I do change my site to tables should I re-submit it to the search engines. Please check out my site and let me know what I could do to improve it. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    www.jayurbanrealestate.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazonia
    I just got my first site up using frames. I've been getting many mixed reports on frames and if the search engines really do have problems with them. I would hate to have to change my site already. If I do change my site to tables should I re-submit it to the search engines. Please check out my site and let me know what I could do to improve it. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    www.jayurbanrealestate.com
    Frames are bad. Tables aren't much better either. What you really want to do is learn how to do this using layers and <divs>. Granted it is harder to do, but in the long run it will make you waaay better at layout (most programmers don't know how to layout a page correctly in HTML). As far as this being your first site. Its not bad. It much better than the first site I did. A few things to point out though. Don't go crazy with bevels and drop shadows and all that good stuff. Effects are just that effects. They are not supposed to be to focal point of a button or a logo or a heading. They are used to enhance the verbiage around it. A good rule of thumb for effects it that when you are applying an effect give it just enough before it looks cool. Subtely is the key. Check out these sites to see some good examples of solid real estate design. If you are still new to design then don't be afraid to be inspired by other peoples work. Its always a good start before you are able to develop your own style.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Hearing people say "frames are bad" and "tables are bad" can easily put someone in dismissal mode. Why? Because there's no supporting reason(s). To get your point across that "frames are bad" you need to explain why they're bad. Let's do that now.

Frames are Bad
    Frames are typically used to seperate a common area of each page from the content area in an attempt to reduce redundant code. In most instances, they seperate the navigation from the content that it is supposed to be pointing to. In today's Web 2.0 world, navigation is expected to be dynamic, informing the visitor where they are, where they are going, and where they have been. With frames this is not easily accomplished., especially for large sites.

In seperating navigation from the content, most designers also seperate out other common areas of each page to be placed in a frameset. Banners, headers, and footers are almost always treated in this fashion. This attempt at reducing the amount of redundant code on pages is easily accomplished using Server Side Includes or the PHP Include() function. These solutions also help solve another of the problems that frames cause: wasted screen real estate. By having a static banner frame at the top of a page and scrolling content in the middle, the visitor loses the reading space at the top of the page as they scroll down. It's no different than launching a DOS prompt in Windows XP, and typing "w32tm /?". It is irritating to try to read this very long, very verbose, help information in a small window. By limiting the number of lines presented to the visitor you are putting them in a similar situation as they read your content.

Another major drawback of frames is that once a visitor has managed to find a page with the content that they want, bookmarking that page is difficult. Simply adding a bookmark will, in most cases, bookmark the site root not the content page that the visitor is expecting. Why? Because the address in the address bar is not pointing to the content. This also creates a problem with search engine visitors because search engines will point to the content page, NOT the site root with the navigation frame. Hence, a visitor will end up at your site with no way of navigating.

Search engines also don't crawl through frame sites very well because frame sites typically don't contain content (the single most important factor for search engines) on the siteroot page. This lack of content on the siteroot also affects visitors using a screen reader (blind visitors). Read more about Section 508 Guidelines here.

Tables are Bad (for layout)
    This is a horse that's been beat to death a thousand times over, so I will refer you to a website that explains why tables are bad for layout rather than typing it all in here, again. Click here to read why tables are bad for layout.

Member #
    I don't think it displays properly on my monitor (1024x768 IE7). The right side of the page is cut off. Also, the site's color scheme looks amateurish. Don't use orange and black. I also think you could get some better buttons for navigation.
    Need help with your tennis game, then visit this Tennis Forum.

Remove Ads