Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please take a moment to check out my first site that I made for a friend. I've been enjoying learning about web design, but wow, there is a lot to learn! I appreciate any input or advice you may have.

Thank you!
    http://www.howdyneighbor.org/

Member #
    Quite interesting... your site works quite well! My only initial question that took a while to answer was "where is this place?" I don't live in the US anymore, so it took quite a bit of guesswork and clicks.

But functionally, good work.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    for your 1st site it is very good. use of divs and works well in IE6 (the only browser that i can view the now)

but if i was to be harsh and comment on thing to improve i would mention that the left box (with sign in feature) should be about 2px or so bigger so the home tab is inline with the border of the left box. A fluid layout would have been better, tough with the rounded corners but not impossible.

The gradient on the header is a bit too much. think it may look better with a subtle colour change rather than the bold change which you have gone for.

Finaly the type used for the logo could be incorparated into the <h1>, <h2>, etc.

but for a 1st site it is very nice. good job

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I think its a pretty good website, and surprised its your first website. I got a suggestion. I dont think that the bevel look (tabs and quotes). I think you are better off if you a flat look, like the picture I took from a program from Steam (attachment).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be trying them out. As far as a fluid layout goes, I was worried that without a lot of content, the page would look stubby. I'll see if I can do it and what it will look like.

Thank you also for your nice comments. They are encouraging considering how difficult it has been to wrap my mind around the whole CSS thing. Learning to get CSS to work reminds me of the saying, "It's like hearding cats!" Hopefully with more experience, it'll get easier.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I was looking at your website again, but this time, it took a long time to load. As I watched it load, It looked cleaner, and I think looks better. I took a screenshot of it, and edit it with ms-paint (best tool ever, and no malware :classic. I think this looks better imo
    changes I made:
    1. removed the gradients
    2. removed the bevel from the tabs, and the quotes
    3. rounded the corners of the pic
    I think you should rethink about the banner. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    No offense to Kayo, but I like the original implementation of tabbed navigation more than Kayo's idea.

I am shocked at the clear purpose that this site has. Most newbies can never seem to convey their site's purpose and it leaves the visitor asking the question: "What is this site about?" You don't come across as a newbie and this certainly doesn't look like your first attempt at web design.

Kudos on a job well done.

Member #
    Job well done. There are things we could nit-pick about (and people have) but for your first site you are so far ahead of the curve it's almost not worth it.

In FireFox on Mac OSX your Quoatations overlap the text on your blockquote. Other than that and the stylistic issues everyone else has pointed out good job.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Remove Ads