Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I know the homepage is very busy ... I would say too busy, but that is the way my boss wanted it, so I could do nothing about that ...

Member #
    for a start get rid of the relfection on the nav, thats just too cheesy.

if you had all the content contained in a box with a diff color it may separate and clear up the look of the home page .... oeven adding a few pargins and a bit of padding could space it out so its more readable?

Member #
    See what you can do about getting some line spacing between bullet points.

Overall, it looks like what myspace would be like if there were a business version. From jaggies on the logo to images without Alt tags data or captions to help the user.

It's like management is talking about itself ...to itself. Potential customers -- site users -- are merely in the way here.

While I know quite well the difference, check out the layout of the SmartDraw page. Engineers are humans first and foremost, and this is a layout designed for visual flow and a singular design target -- people who are likely to buy. Good readability of text combine with screen shots to explain the compelling reason to buy.

Desoft merely has a block of text and a mass of screenshots. The text and graphics should work together and refer to each other. Use graphics to break up test.

My background is engineering, specifically biomedical engineering. The "third-rate Apple knockoff" look doesn't appeal to me. The readability is poor. And that's from someone with the background to be a customer.

Start testing with real, live users. When you show how one design causes users to leave, and another doesn't -- management will often listen. Otherwise, the designer is just spouting an opionion. And that's why you can't change anything, no other reason.

Member #
    Thanx a lot for your time ...
    The "third-rate Apple knockoff" look doesn't appeal to me
    I please want to know what you mean by that so I can have a look at correcting that please ...
    Thanx.

Member #
    Pseudo gumdrop was "the" style about ten years ago -- about like Web 2.0 gradients are today. Although it once made a site look modern, it now makes a site look dated.

Color in the navigation of Dessoft seems like pointless decoration. Hard to read primary navigation, plus an invisible secondary (does anyone see the second-tier navigation or the login section. Login specifically could be a problem.

And the "get evaluation version" button is all but invisible. You want this to be a primary focus.

For something which looks more modern today, check out...

Bytesector -- has the glossy look but a more sophisticated use of color, combined with good visual flow, readable navigation, etc. Notice how easy it is to tell there is a search function -- Dessoft should have a highly visible login. Still, notice the design target -- kiddies.

Digital-Telepathy what could look like a riot of color is instead used to good effect. Rather than seemingly detached from the rest of the layout, the colorful navigation assists the user in moving through the services offered.

What these sites show is color psychology in interface design, not color-as-gimmick. Color assists the user, rather than being an afterthought.

Member #
    Cool stuff thanx man!

Remove Ads