Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    I welcome all comments, good or bad! this is a purchased a template that I am customizing and it does not validate, it seems the template itself is not valid code and I do not know how to fix what it tells me is wrong. I would also like to know if the code looks okay besides the not validating part. It was started in front page, I am using dreamweaver mx and trial version 8. This is only my 2nd website so I am looking for suggestions in all areas. www.cohmlaw.com/subsite

Thanks for your help!

Sue

Member #
    fisrt i would say is change the logo, don't use drop shadows on text, bit dated. the hover rounded color changes are not the best, would probably look better if you just had a straigh color change and maybe 1 with more of a contrast.

on the link colors the use of red is hard to read. use a brighter color for better readablility.

in regards to the validation issues i would say learn some css and scrap the tables, stick all your styling into a style sheet... oh and getting firefox with the web developer extension would help you

Member #
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feed back. I am assuming you mean the picture of the scales and gavel as far as that as the Logo it is a temporary picture, working on something else. I am going to need to change the navigation anyway we are changing the page names. but I don't know how to do it in css, takes time to learn and sometime they want results immediately so I have to go with what I know until I learn how to do it in css. The color of the links I know how to change in css thankfully! any suggestions on the best places to learn css start to finish. I keep getting snippets from different websites but I would really like to learn how to put it all together.

Please keep the suggestions coming I appreciate it!

Sue

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I think that this would be easy to convert to css. Here is a couple of suggestions
    1. Use CSS, its not that hard. Easy to learn
    2. The nav is ok, but use a simple color when hoving, like a lighter gray. Also dont use images for the nav, Use text when ever possible
    3. Have a better benner. I think simple text with a good color background would work much better.

Member #
    I think maybe a little darker text and "Clients", "Services", and "Real Estate" gave me javascript errors "Line 114, Char 97, Unterminated String Constant" I am using IE6 so I get those alot, but I thought It might be usefull.

Member #
    Hi,

Thanks, I will go with those suggestions. I just don't know how to convert to css, I don't know how to put it all together I get little parts of it but I dont know how to change the navigation so that it fits the template along with other parts of it. The template breaks really easy then I have to spend a lot of time figuring how to fix it. on one had that is good I learn something new each time I just dont always have the time for that.

Any suggestions on where can I learn css start to finish? so I can start cleaning this up? When I check it for validation and it tells me what is wrong but I have no clue how to fix it very frustrating. LOL!

Thanks again or helpful comments!

Sue

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Have a look at my thread Resources for learning how to use CSS for layout

Most of your validation errors are atcually pretty easy to understand if you know HTML. Most are about deprecated attributes which should (read: will) be solved when you convert this to a DIV/CSS layout. And the others are missing " " ... you MUST have attributes values in quotes like ... height="100" not height=100.

For your menu ... I would loose the outer glow style and just change the whole background. It will look more professional.

Go in the tutorials section ... there's tons of tutorials on CSS and rollovers and things like that. And READ the thread I posted at the top of this reply
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Hi,

Thanks for the links! I will check them out and start working on all the suggestions!
    What color for the links would you all suggest? I have a tried few a different colors and I think anything along the lines of green, blue or grey makes it look very dull.
    Well Thanks again I really appreciate the comments I am learning as I go so it is very helpful!

Sue

Member #
    If it won't validate look in dreamweaver @ convert to XHTML(MX) or XHTML 1.01 (8) and put alt text for images in the properties box. Dreamweaver should do the rest for you.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyf12
    If it won't validate look in dreamweaver @ convert to XHTML(MX) or XHTML 1.01 (8) and put alt text for images in the properties box. Dreamweaver should do the rest for you.
    Thank you for the tip! I just downloaded a trial version of dreamweaver 8, I will try that and see what happens. My problems is that I have a basic idea of what everything does I just dont always know how to put it all together. I did not design the template and it breaks easily. It would be way to much for me to re-design it in css myself at this point. I just want to use what is there and then take my time re-designing it in css as I learn and understand all of it better.
    Thank you again!

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads