Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I was wondering what yall think of my site. I haven't really done much on the web in about 4-5 years and have been working on it for a while. I started with a template and replaced most of the content formatting, colors, etc. Just thought you all might be able to give me a few tips. Good or bad the more I know the more it helps. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Disclaimer: You are promoting yourself as a professional web designer and therefore will be held to a higher standard.

What's good:

I'm afraid I don't see anything good here. This site looks like it was rehashed from the 90's.

Here's the bad part:

- The colors are just awful. I can hardly see that text under that gray box at the very top. And when hovering the menu.

- The logo ... which one is it? Either way ... you need a better one.

- If you want this site to be "starting point for your Web Design needs" you have got to get it to reflect todays designs and standards. Surely you can see your site is not up to par when comparing it to sites featured in the many css showcase sites out there?

Now ... let's look at the code shall we?
    - Ugh! Tables ... you've got to be kidding me! Get on the Web Standards band-wagon if you want to strive in the business. If you need to know why tables are frowned upon, I've got quite an extensive list of great articles in my Resources for learning how to use CSS for layout thread in the HTML section of the forums. but to make it easier for you, all add them here
    - VALIDATE! You have 45 errors in there.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Unfortunately, my only tip, as far as the style/layout goes, would be to start over. I agree with everything karinne said. While dark grey is pretty popular these days, there are much better choices to compliment it, than that really bright blue. Check this out, it's a color schemer, and I think that it is very handy. Also, I would recommend adding a portfolio. If you don't have one, make a few 'templates' to show off until you have done a few sites.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Oh ... good point Chris.

For color schemer, I recommend

kuler
    COLORlovers
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    I've redone the home page and was wondering what you all thought about it now. I took most of your advice and completely redid the layout. I still need a logo but thats in the works.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Your colors scheme isn't working... looks tacky.

Layout is getting better tho.

Member #
    Yea, those colors together still looks outdated, and tacky. Your layout needs work in order to work in all browsers. It looks awful in Opera, though as you learn more current design techniques you will know how each property works in each browser, and how to fix them.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks for all the input. I have to warn you I'm working on it now, and have been for a couple hours, so it probably will jumble up at random times when I get something wrong. I'm testing with IE 6, and FF2. I've never used opera so I don't know much about its bugs. Most of the bugs in IE and FF/NS. I know about from JavaScript. I know it pretty well. As for colors I'm not that good at matching. I think Ima go with a background-picture. well thanks and probably check back in a while.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    if you got FF covered, then I think Opera would be ok. Firefox and Opera had made a agreement on how a website should be rendered.

Member #
    Cool thats good to Know. I'll remember it. I've been changeing the css live so it might have broke the page then. The html file that is live and I'm actually testing on is "/tmpl.html" not "/index.html" then I update the rest by hand. Its slow going kinda. Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads