Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

A former employee of my father decided to start painting houses for a living. He does virtually no marketing, so I offered to make him some business cards and a website for free to try to help him drum up some business. This is what I cranked out in a few hours time at a cost to me of $11 (domain registration + stock photo).

Whaddya guys think? :-D

Member #
    It's not exactly an eye-catcher, but it's not badly designed. It effectively displays what needs to be shown, and he got what he paid for.

I don't understand the use of a table for the navigation where a list could easily have been used. Actually, I don't understand all the tables in general. Is that your doing, or a result of Joomla?

Speaking of which, the Joomla link in the footer would be very random for anyone who doesn't know anything about content management systems - just about anyone visiting the site, eh? I would consider changing it to say "Powered by Joomla" or something to that effect.

Don't forget the favicon again.

Member #
    I think it looks good...

Not so into the rollover effect on the navi, but it's okay. I think something a little 'rounder' would look better. or if the links were defined to be a little more ssquare before hovering over them with horizontal lines between it would flow a little better in my opinion.

The text is very small and close together... I mean letter spacing is fine, but I think it could use a little more padding around the text areas... especially on the home page with the two columns.

For a painting site it looks pretty bland. I'd like to see some more colors... and if his biz is painting houses, why are there no pictures of houses?

That big image on the home-page... I I think if you rounded the corners on it, it would make for a very subtle, but nice change seeing as how (almost) everything else is rounded. Same for the Home/Contact Links on the top right.

Lastly, you have a crazy amount of un-necessary divs; and some yucky tables.

Overall though -- for free (to him) he can't (shouldn't) complain the slightest bit.

I know I only really mentioned negative points, but overall I like the site. Good Job.

Member #
    Replace the favicon, please. Also, I would add some images/color to the other pages. The start page looks nice because it has that big colorful picture, but the other pages look plain and boring. The buttons at the top look akward, almost like they are supposed to be rounded, but in Opera at least, they seem to have a background.

Color, color, color!

The design of the site is nice, but it is a bit bland. I am really liking seeing all of these Joomla site.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I have to point out that I didn't really "design" much in this site... the template came with Joomla... I just threw it all together.

Member #
    Well Trans, not your best work..............but it was a template, it was free and it was for a friend's business............and for $11 that is a pretty darn good website.

I hate to recommend any changes since I know you aren't getting paid to update it.
    The two sections at the bottom of the home page need a little more seperation.
    There was some good comments by all4sma with needing more color.........but hey, a free site is a free site.

Hopefully, they will realize some business out of it. I hope when you need your house painted, he will give you a good deal !

Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Hopefully, they will realize some business out of it. I hope when you need your house painted, he will give you a good deal !
    Ya know the sucky thing is I'm already getting my house painted, and someone else is doing it. If I had known earlier, I probably would hae hired Junior to do the job!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Now you know I respect you and your work quite a bit--otherwise you won't be a moderator for several years now--but that's not the most semantic design. There are some tables on there that are completely unnecessary unless you're going for compatibility with browsers pre-IE6.

(say nothing of the tables in WDF v5, for WDF v6 changes that)
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads