Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Here's a site I've been working on: Netjaxer.com. It's a Web 2.0 and Ajax site directory that also allows you launch certain 2.0 sites directly from your Windows desktop. You can also rate sites already listed or submit 2.0 sites you know of.

I'm interested to get your feedback. Thanks!

Member #
    Welcome! Want me to go full-scale criticism? (I haven't done this in a while)

You seem really really "on with" the "Web 2.0" stuff. Can you give us a definition? Many experts have already stated that "Web 2.0" is more about the web's philosophy of boldness, less clutter, organization, and community. Personally I see your site like any other web directory - that function over the original application you're offering.

I fail to see why it's a Web 2.0 and AJAX site. Those are some common buzzwords and the first thing I do it validate it. There are far more "web2.0-er" ways to make your site, such as expanding an iframe preview (or maybe a lightbox) for website previews. There are a lot more ways to use effective JS.

Your menu, for example. It's huge. It's almost 3 screens down. I'd say some JS would be useful here. Then you have a double-embedded table layout mixed up with divs. The inner homepage table should be made with an unordered list, but a table is still forgivable (the outer one must go though). The title is rather long. It's also nearly 200kb large on the homepage, nearly 100kb of that being just imaging. You can do a lot better than that! Instead of using a large image and imagemaps for the big download button (which constitutes about 10% of your total image filesizes), you can do that with three images (one for each end and a tile image) and some standard text.

I think that's enough criticism. Oh, and one more thing. Fixed 1024px-width layout. 1024px when you know that browser windows will be less (at least the scroll bar, but who knows what users might have in sidebars). And you use tables! I though people had trouble making fixed layouts in CSS, but a fixed one in tables?

Ok then... now to the other end. Your site does boast a large array of sites, I'll give you that. I might even take a look at some after typing this post. But why a desktop browser? What rendering engine will it use? All in all, I think your problem for the actual app itself is your lack of details. Just some screenshots.

I wish you well!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks for the review and your input. Your suggestions have been forwarded to our programmer and we'll probably take a few to heart.

Web 2.0 is really about community and finding better ways to save and access information more quickly; basically the traits that you mention. Netjaxer itself really isn't a web 2.0 site, but the sites listed in the directory utilize 2.0 features, many of which include Ajax/instant updating.

Thanks again for the critique.

Member #
    web 2.0 to the maxx!
    steax, dont shun the future!
    i like this website, it's a little plain but its got potential and it has an interesting idea, good luck

Remove Ads