Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello All,

Like many of you I just re-did my site and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your time,

http://mhole.topcities.com

Member #
    Hello,

A nice clean design, the color scheme seems fine, and loading time is okay. The only concern I would have with this site is the menu on the left, it can be quite annoying when someone has images turned off and they cant see your menu, it is also quite slow to 'rollover', you can achieve the same kind of effect with a simple CSS file, something like this;

.menu td a {
    font: 12px Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
    color: White;
    background-color: #006699;
    width: 100px;
    text-decoration: none;
    padding: 1px;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border: 1px solid Black;
    display: block;
    }
    .menu td a:hover {
    color: #336699;
    background-color: White;
    border: 1px solid #000000;
    }

Its quite easy to manipulate to fufill your wishes,
    Thanks

Member #
    The site design is simple and clean, but I'm not a fan of the banner. The address in the lower right corner is hard to read because of the heavy glow effect that's on it.

Also, I'd reccommend using paid hosting, the advertisements on your site really detract from the portfolio.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I must be missing something. It would appear that you've got the site up because you're looking for work in web design or graphic design, but your portfolio and web projects do nothing to indicate any practical experience. As a web designer and an employer, I don't for the life of me understand why people put things like the cartoons that they draw or the Quake levels they design or the PhotoShop work they've done on a picture of their naked girlfriend (yes, someone did actually include that on their portfolio site that htey sent me). I want to see links to things you've actually done that have some practical application to them.

Show me business sites, logos, success stories. Don't show me stuff like I just outlined before.

As far as your layout goes, I like it overall. It's a nice colour scheme and the load time is reasonably quick. I, like splufdaddy, think the top banner doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it, but for the most part it's a nice-looking site.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the tips guys. And I will be getting my own domain soon. Not everyone can afford their own domain right away. Also, this is my portfolio site, not just a web portfolio site. That is why I put pics of everything I've done so far. I don't have websites/logos to show because I haven't made any, no job yet =( This is all I have to show, if I didn't have the stuff I have on there, it would be an insanely small site.

But I see what you mean, having examples of websites i've done along with logos etc would be a good idea. I just haven't had any clients.

I suppose I could design a few simple sites for my friends, but they'd have banners like mine at the top, because there is no way they'd pay for hosting.

Any ideas on what I could do ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Start with non-profs maybe. Volunteer to do a few non-prof sites for free or for dirt cheap (churches, local charities, that sort of thing) until you get your foot in the door, then go after paying clients.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    - Learn some english... I would have hoped you'd learn proper grammar in college. Your front page screams 12 year old to me with the horrid grammar. It's one thing to speak unprofessionally, it's a whole other ball game to publish something unprofessionally. If you're showcasing your skills as a webdesigner, I would hope to god you've got good english. A lot of clients don't have any content - they want you to make it up, so you need to know how to convey thoughts to your intended audience.

-Do some sites Even if they're just fun sites for you, whatever. Do a site for your family, do a site for your friend's small business etc.

-All of you "versions" of the portfolio look the same =/ It's all nav on the left, content in a boxed graphic to the side. Show some diversity.

-You should work on your resume. Resume's are almost always exactly one page long. It's just the industry standard. You've got a lot of crap on there with all the important stuff last. Top-load. Also... I'd advise on removing your refrences. Add a line that says "Refrences upon request" It's violating their privacy and again, is unprofessional.

Sorry if this seems harsh, try and remember I am just trying to help Being a self-employed web designer is hard if you're not VERY good at business. A lot of clients almost dont' give a flying fart if you can make a "cool" looking website. They want to know you that you're professional and can get the job done.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Wow, please read. I said the english on your site is not perfect - it should be. I also said that talking one way is totally different than publishing it on a site supposedly showcasing your skills. Please, read my post. Take my critisisms as just that... you asked for feedback, that's what I gave.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to issue a warning to both of you at this point.

Brak: It's one thing to give healthy, constructive criticism. It's another thing to give unconstructive criticism while committing similar mistakes yourself. You've done the latter. Please try to tone it down a little bit. Your suggestions usually are helpful; this, however, is not one of those cases.

Venom77: please avoid the excessive use of the caps lock. Some people (myself included) consider that "shouting" and we can all read just fine, thank you. As far as Brak's advice being "totally bogus", that may well be true in your particular case. However, please keep in mind that you did ask for criticisms and free advice and when you do that, you sometimes get what you pay for. Another thing that you may wish to consider is that some of the people on this board do run web design companies and in rare cases, will hire people for contracts and jobs from posts on these boards. If you choose to talk to people in the manner you've been talking to Brak, you're greatly reducing your chances of getting the very contracts and jobs you seek.

In other words, it would be greatly appreciated if both of you please act in a professional and courteous manner. I really do hate to ban someone for reasons not related to spam and self-serving behaviour. Thanks.

Member #
    maybe one space instead of two between the "main" and "site" areas of the navigation. probably for the front page i wouldn't have a news-system type setup, if that makes sense. i would go directly into what the site is for and ahve news be secondary. i would do an html resume as well as have a word document there and ready. i think that the quake levels should be okay for now, as they do show some skill in 3d graphics... kinda. you probably shouldn't have links to your friends portfolio sites. it's kinda like an oxy moron if you're trying to get a job. what if the employer sees your friend's site and hires him instead? you should probably take the guestbook link off until you have your guestbook ready to go that way your site doesn't look incomplete in anyway. finally, for a portfolio site a links page probably isn't necessary/appropriate. well... thats my two cents. good luck
    http://www.huanderson.com
    http://www.huanderson.com/portfolio/

Remove Ads