Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, I don't do this very often because I have a relatively fragile ego when it comes to my not-so-great design skills, but here we are nonetheless :-)

This site is actually the second version I've done for our Model UN program, but is in a multitude of ways a vast improvement over the previous one. Two issues you should know I already know about -- the dead link under About GTMUN -> Volunteer! and the fact that the 404 page is completely not in our layout. I intend on fixing these soonish :-)

And it bears mentioning that about 90% of the stuff you see on there is taken directly from the database. Page content and all that, menu structure, etc, are all mostly from the db, and thus easily updatable.

Your feedback appreciated, but keep in mind my fragile ego! :-D

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    In the header, above the M, there's an abnormality. It's some remnant of the header being a link, as it was blue until I clicked on the header, and then it turned purple. IE 6 / XP.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    It's there in Firefox too, but it stays blue. Hard to see.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for pointing that out, Wired; I've fixed it

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Damn, you're right Eddy :P Well, the fix I made for IE fixes it in Firefox, too, so it's all good now

Member #
    i would suggest changing the font for the logo. i really ain't digging it. plenty of good free fonts out there .... i'll digg out a few links in a bit if the you want. not even sure if the logo is in your control ... did you design it?.

and the login boxes - i would get rid of the dotted border. maybe apply a shadow effect so the text area look sunk?

also there is a px or 2px too much padding in the login text box at the top, looks like that to me anyway

xp - ff 2.0

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    i would suggest changing the font for the logo. i really ain't digging it. plenty of good free fonts out there .... i'll digg out a few links in a bit if the you want. not even sure if the logo is in your control ... did you design it?.
    I actually like the logo but it's not smooth enough ... the lines could be thicker. It's also very pixelated around the edges but like Karloff said ... you might not have a choice in fixing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    and the login boxes - i would get rid of the dotted border. maybe apply a shadow effect so the text area look sunk?
    Yes ... I agree. Just a simple solid border would be better.

Otherwise ... the different hues of blue I find a bit distracting. Like, you have a darker blue in the area where the logo is, but a different hue beside the image.

I'm not sure about the shading in the content but that might be personal preference. It's too much IMO.

Some padding at the very bottom of the site would be nice. Right now, you footer sits right at the edge of my browser.

Hope I didn't brake your ego
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Concerning the logo -- consensus amongst those who run the conference seems to be that they really like that font. Any specific reason, or does it just not vibe with you?

The login box -- I've never been 100% certain about that dotted border myself. What exactly do you mean by that shadow effect? Just a dropshadow around the box or what? Where do you see too much padding? I'm not really noticing that in the same environment. You mean too much on every side, or just on the top side of the login box?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, just trying to get specifics :-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    I actually like the logo but it's not smooth enough ... the lines could be thicker. It's also very pixelated around the edges but like Karloff said ... you might not have a choice in fixing this.
    True. There isn't really a `bold' version of the font, though, and the general look is one we like. I get what you're saying about pixelation though.. I need to see if I can do something about that.

Yes ... I agree. Just a simple solid border would be better.
    I might give that a shot. The problem with a solid border is that it really easily disappears into the background color, but that may not be a bad thing.

Otherwise ... the different hues of blue I find a bit distracting. Like, you have a darker blue in the area where the logo is, but a different hue beside the image.
    That was actually intentional. I can see how it can be distracting, but I don't really like the look when they are the same color -- they're intended to be distinct areas, with the header having its own little zone. It never seemed to me like the borders were enough to make that clear.

I'm not sure about the shading in the content but that might be personal preference. It's too much IMO.
    My biggest fear with it is that the quiet gradients on the bottom don't really fit in with the solid colors on the top. But I'm not sure how else to do it :-P

Some padding at the very bottom of the site would be nice. Right now, you footer sits right at the edge of my browser.
    I actually wanted it that way. I like it when the scroll ends right with the page :-) I'm not terribly concerned about people not seeing it or anything. It's funny, really, because I always like a blank line or two at the end of my source code, but at the same time when there's a footer like this, I like to make it clearly delineate `this is the end'.

Hope I didn't brake your ego
    At first glance, it seems to still be in one piece :-D

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Concerning the logo -- consensus amongst those who run the conference seems to be that they really like that font. Any specific reason, or does it just not vibe with you?
    just doesn't vibe with me, i would prefer a more bold font but if they dig it, let them have it;-)

as for the login padding. when i'm looking at it the "login" isn't sitting in the middle of the box. more white space at the top than the bottom - maybe i've just been looking at a computer all day:ermm:

the sunken effect on the text area - i'm sure you know the effect, apply a left and top boder of some gray and then a darker shade on the right and bottom. there are other was but that is quick and friendly:-)

while i'm here i might as well post some nice fonts i've found, may not be suitable for you, and you may not choose to us them but their free:-)
    http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/fontinsans.html
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006...quality-fonts/

Remove Ads