Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jcw
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Looking for some expert opinions on both the design as well as the code? The site was built with html, when will I need to change to xhtml and what does my site show to demonstrate that need? I truly appreciate any time and insights you can provide. thanks jeff

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The "when" is now ... is was a few months ago ... is was ... well ... you get the point! Have a look at this thread - Resources for learning how to use CSS for layout to help you make that transition.

I like dark site but ... I like to be able to read it too ... lighten up the color of the font. I have to put my nose to my monitor to be able to read that text!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I also like the dark site, it makes the colors of your pictures stand out, but the dark grey text is next to impossible to read. Try using a few different colors (for the text), just to inject a bit more life into the site.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

jcw
    Member #
    thanks for the responses, I appreciate them.

Some follow up questions, both of you have stated the text is so dark dark that you're have trouble reading it? I've looked at it using different browsers, crt monitors, laptops, and windows based machines (I'm on a mac) and I've never felt the gray text was that dark. Just out of curiosity are you using any type of anti-glare screen for your eyes or have you calibrated your monitor to a much darker level? I'm just a little confused on this.

Second I plan to do a major re-design when the the next level of Dreamweaver appears but right now I'm still using MX 00 and I believe it writes in html(?) - Of course I'm completely lost with all of this - What do I lose in compatibility still having the site in html? thanks again for any insights & advice. jeff

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Loose the WYSIWYG! Start hand-coding your sites.

As for what you loose ... well ... your code is full of deprecated attributes and elements.

If you don't know where to start about HTML, here's a good starting point:
    Getting started with HTML
    More Advanced Features
    http://www.htmldog.com/guides/
    Bulletproof HTML: 37 Steps to Perfect Markup

Once you got the basics down ... this is the mother of all resources
    HTML 4.01 Specification
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    theres a lot of better ways you could make the gallery bits

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I think that dark colours work well for a photo website. I think you should use some glass floor effects.

a newer version of dreamweaver wont help. You should use a basic text program. If you are using a Mac, then you should look a program called TextMate(I think it has a free trial). If you want something free, try jedit(works on most operating systems). For Windows, there are Notepad++ and Intype, which both are currently free.

If you want a WYSIWYG editor, try Nvu. Nvu is free, and I think it is much better then Dreamweaver 8. If you are going to use a WYSIWYG editor, use to code view. You should write your webpages from scatch.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    Some follow up questions, both of you have stated the text is so dark dark that you're have trouble reading it? I've looked at it using different browsers, crt monitors, laptops, and windows based machines (I'm on a mac) and I've never felt the gray text was that dark. Just out of curiosity are you using any type of anti-glare screen for your eyes or have you calibrated your monitor to a much darker level? I'm just a little confused on this.
    The thing is (and I noticed this right away) is that you have a "best viewed in" resolution disclaimer on your site.
    Plus, you have asked two of the top contributors/designers in this forum how they are viewing your website. I think you can probably trust their experience when it comes to viewing a website on any monitor.

My comment when looking at the site was going to be that it is too dark to read/difficult to read, etc.
    I don't use an anti-glare screen, my monitor is calibrated very well in respects to contrast. It is difficult to read, period.

You need to design for all users. Users with anti-glare screens may be a stretch, but for sure you need to look at your site in terms of monitor types, browser types, resolutions, windows/macs, etc.

Another thing that could be happening is that you know what the text is, you know where it is, you know what it says.........maybe you don't see that as an issue. Your eye in viewing your site is going to be different.

I do see that the white text on the bio page doesn't blend into the site like the other text, so I do see the issue with making the other text white.
    I do not know which gray that you used, but maybe suggest a lighter shade? I don't know. Most likely, the white text would not look good though.

Now, as far as the site goes it is a pretty good site. There is a good contrast when it comes to the photos. Clean layout. Easy to nav.
    Pictures are outstanding. You do excellent work when it comes to your photography.

As for the need to recode your site. I don't know if you really need to do that. I do agree that the gallery should be tweaked a bit in terms of how it flows (it seems sluggish).
    CSS is the way to go (rather than html or xhtml). They are a bit outdated, but you also have to design to your skill level.
    And to be honest, you don't need to get too fancy with your site. Showcase your photography, not your web design skills.

Your work is outstanding (photography). The website part of it is pretty good overall.

Good luck.....
    GMan

jcw
    Member #
    thanks everyone for the insights and the compliments - although I know I have a long way to go

I meant no disrespect and wasn't challenging anyones views on the darkness of the text I just had not experience that problem to the extent of it being troubling to read and was simply asking of that possibility. Like I said I need maintenance & hopefully this next week I will address the text color as well.

I know you guys & gals are all professionals and know the correct way. Hopefully someday I will have the money to hire a quality professional, but right now hand coding is way - way over my head and I can only design/build down at my skill level.

Again thanks for the insights. jeff

Member #
    No, I don't use any sort of anti-glare device. I used 3 different brightness settings when I looked at your site, and it was always hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    And to be honest, you don't need to get too fancy with your site. Showcase your photography, not your web design skills.
    I agree 100%!

I am also glad that you are at least willing to listen to the advice offered here.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads