Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

www.ancientstandard.com is the URL of a new blog I just launched the other week.

We just had the new design finished and added to the site (it's using wordpress). I would appreciate if you guys could take a look and critique the design, ad placement and what you think of the actual content.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Member #
    Very nice. Good layout, clean, easy to nav and content is good.
    I enjoyed reading through some of the content.

I'm not a big fan of google ads within content (and especially between every post), but I overlooked it enough despite getting in the way of reading from one section to the next.

Great looking site and design though.

Good luck....
    GMan

Member #
    Let me start by saying that I haven't read any of the content, the below review is purely based on visual presentation.

---------

Stunningly beautiful!
    :ichatbiggrin: :ichatbiggrin: :ichatbiggrin:

Your layout is absolutely gorgeous! It's visually pleasing beyond expectations!
    You have successfully added a realworld texture to your layout, and that is extremely difficult to achieve. :knockedout:
    Your combination of 2D information and 3D backdrop is absolutely exemplary!! It's perfectly combined.

-----------

I must agree with planetgman though, that Google adds in between posts presents a mountain of irritation. Is there somewhere else you could place them?
    They really wreck the overall impression and gives me an itch! I don't think the minute cashflow is worth what it does to the experience.

Furthermore, I miss a navigation bar on the right, that links to individual posts. You have a nice clean layout of subjects there, but I would personally like a list that lists descriptive headers of individual post under a given subject when you choose one.

-----------

Otherwise, excellent!
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments guys...I appreciate them!

Where would you suggest locating the ads? To be honest this site is more of a business rather than a labour of love (though the writer I employ loves the subject so that helps) but the goal of this website is to earn a profit.

It will become high trafficked and the Google Adsense income will be more than minute, but I always like to take user input into consideration. Perhaps you could read a post or two and let me know if the content is interesting enough to put up with the ads or not?

Thanks again!
    Dave

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey,

Awesome design! I LOVE it! The colors, the textures, the fonts... It all goes together SO well. It also really makes history look interesting. I don't usually like history, but I think I'd like to read some of this!

I agree about the ads though, that they are irritating. You could put them in the right sidebar under everything else that's there, or along the bottom of the page.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Ditto! Awesome design, but those Google Ads (especially the ones in the middle of a post) are very annoying. I would change that blurb under the "About Us" since it is only restating what is in the logo/header.

Amazing!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Hey Guys,

thanks for the feedback, boy you guys really hate those ads

I'm in a tough spot here as I mentioned because this is a for profit blog I'm developing (with a paid writer etc.) So it needs to have reasonably visible ad blocks. I have a fairly large portfolio of adsense sites and I can tell you that ad blocks on the right column have a next to 0 click through rate!

So let me pose this question to those of you who had the time to read a post or two...was the content interesting enough to make you want to "put up" with the ads, or not?

Thanks again!

Member #
    Totally cool design. Where have I seen that texture before? Oh, yeah, 3dsmax. I love your color scheme - it's really well balanced and it works like any other great home page.

I'll explain my regular problem with ads. When I read a post, I jump down pretty far and just look for some non-ad text. Even if I tried reading a while, the ads really bug me when I read "settlement patterns of people in the ancient pacific. Aloha Shirt Wholesale. What the?!".
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I also really like the design, but the ads bug me alot. I suggest using

1. Smaller ad blocks.
    2. Setting the ads apart better (with a border or different text color) that way users will feel less inturrupted by the ads when reading an article.
    3. Include ads only at the end of articles.
    4. Dont show ads on the homepage, show only previews of the actual artical.
    5. Try to set up an affilate program where a book website pays you to suggest relevant books at the end of your posts.
    6. Offer a subscription service with no ads. If you develop enough good content, some school systems may pay for an ad-free subscription.

Remove Ads