Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well here goes an attempt at a personal page for a change. I hope you guys can open it with acceptable speed, otherwise I'll sue my hosting company. Right now I haven't provided the bilingual buttons, but I'm just asking for a review on layout and composition. There's a sample tab strip for color testing too.

Some markup may still be messy and can be improved, but this is just a visual test. Yes I'm aware the header is sliced up.

If the colors look awry (like my parents say, but after all they're not used to the modern web), I'll change them...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    LOVE IT! I love the font, the background .... nice ...very nice!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Like the font, not sure about the background, a matter of personal taste I think...

Also sorry to say on my machine it was a bit slow loading, but I'll try again later for you, could be something with my ISP......

Give you some more comments later when I try again. But looks very kinda pro so far....

Member #
    I really like it. The "NewsTicker" graphic is difficult to read, but isn't terrible. The logo has a few rough edges. Let me know when it's translated, I would be interested in seeing what it is all about.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    really slow to load here and at my work so think its time to kill your hosting company

anyway, 5 mins later and its loaded:-)

I like the font, but i feel its overused and difficult to read unless its really large.

the content and tabbed nav needs to be squashed in about a bit to match up with the grid of the rounded box above. (i'll try post and example diagram later)

the water make in the nav is a bit too heavy, maybe make the change less obvious.

not sure about the body bg, liked it at 1st but not keen after a while.

Member #
    Ok thats it I'm switching companies next month.

It's slow because the server is here in Indonesia. The page itself is only about 100kb.

Well this is practically my personal page, hosting my blog, personal projects, contact info, all that stuff. And the newsticker text is unclear for a reason - in my country people barely know what "newsticker" is, so I added that just for a quick nod to my web-dev colleagues.

Hmmm, the background vertical stripes were an experiment. I was trying to find a uniqueness, and thought about a subconscious feeling on the visitors - they feel the stripes travel down the length of the page, hidden behind the page, serving as a "backbone". Apparently to you guys this plan backfired and caused more trouble than it was worth. Any different ideas?

As for squashing up the body text, I'm thinking about it. The newsticker here was actually a messagebox test, a real newsticker would probably be somewhat different.

And for the font... hmm, I'll see. Also about the banner, it's kind of rough to save up on filesize. The header images eat up a considerable portion of my page size already. I'll try to change from the current JS-based rollover (which was faster to test) into a CSS based one once I finalize the font.

Some people complained to me that this site was too playful for a high school student. Do you agree?

I'll do some edits, thanks everyone!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    Hmmm, the background vertical stripes were an experiment. I was trying to find a uniqueness, and thought about a subconscious feeling on the visitors - they feel the stripes travel down the length of the page, hidden behind the page, serving as a "backbone". Apparently to you guys this plan backfired and caused more trouble than it was worth. Any different ideas?
    I actually really love the background. Maybe if it would be less prominent at the top ... less "white-space" up there. Kinda like in the footer? Maybe it would be less distracting that way?
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    So nudge the entire body up (ie, reduce the height of the top banner)? Ok, I'll try that. You can revisit the site now, I've updated it. Thanks!

Edit: I also did a few minor CSS changes to set the body background to white so if you need time for the bg image to travel around the world, you can at least still read the text.

Member #
    Now there is a gap between your header and body, in Opera.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Edited that, chris. I did the modifications of the images and CSS in two uploads.

That gap was because I set the header height to 200px. Now its fixed. IMO it does look tighter and snugger. It also gives me a slight more bit of prime screen real-estate. Although the nudge was 25px.

Remove Ads