Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a very rough concept. I'm trying to come up with something bold and memorable. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    i dont mean to be rude, but this could quite possibly be the worst website in the world, i'd have to say scrap this and start again

Member #
    Yeah, I thought I went a little too wild with it. I totally agree, lol. Sometimes you just need to hear it though.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay I wouldn't call it the WORST... I think the main layout is okay, maybe it just needs some tweaking?

I think the main problem is that you used such bold colors on EVERYTHING, so instead of having one or two very important things emphasized by bold colors, everything is emphasized, which translates to NOTHING is emphasized, and then the viewer doesn't know where to look.

So, rather than ONLY using those two very bold colors, you could use the red, and then other shades of red (more subtle shades?) for the nav at the top and the footer (definitely make all the buttons on a nav (for this design) all the same color, like a more subtle red) and then yellow for things that you want to stand out.

Also, I would take off the black shadows that are on everything... When making shadows like that, sometimes it looks better to make them in the color of the shape you're applying it to. So like, for the red shapes, make the shadow a little bit darker red color.

Also, all the text is black - I would play around with that a bit, using dark grey, or on the red buttons, if you make them a darker red, maybe try white text?

Also, it is all just text... I think you should add an image or two. Maybe a stock photo of some cars? I also would probably lost the embossing in the header... Embossing seems like it's kind of last-season

But, I mean, it's good that you have a basic structure down. So many websites can be so disorganized and jumbled.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    RasberryH, it looks like we were thinking almost exactly the same thing. By the time I read your post I had already emphasized the main text by giving it a white background, took off the shadows, and changed the colors to something less distracting. Plus, I added a third color to the mix. I left the embossing in the header...for now. I plan to look for a photo to use somewhere to give it some life. I really appreciate your constructive criticism. It's always nice to hear exactly what's wrong, not just that it's terrible, lol.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Haaa, yeah, I know what you mean! When I started out, I would create a design and then be so disappointed that it didn't look awesome, but I'd never be able to figure out WHY. But then I FORCED myself to notice things on other designs, REASONS why they looked good! And then I tried to work those into my own design, until eventually, it became second nature.

Good luck with your design, I'd like to see how it turns out!
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    It's easy to look at a site and think "wow that looks great", but sometimes it's hard to actually explain why it's great, just like you said. Well, I'll post a link when I get this thing coded, but that will be a few days (busy, busy!). Until then, I posted a new image that shows some of my progress. Thanks for your help!
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, I guess you uploaded the new image. Wish I had seen the first one!!! It's gotta be a real honor to witness the worst website ever!!! :-D You should attach your concepts here so we can see the progress along the way.

Without further ado, here are my comments on the current iteration (having not seen the original):
    1. The menu buttons should not alternate colors. That's too confusing, especially since color changes are often used in menu buttons to reflect status change (hover, active, etc.)

2. The colors are all pastel. I hate pastel. It's also not bold.

3. Serif fonts.... not bold at all. Go with a chunkier sans-serif for the graphical menu part and the logo, and arial 10pt for the body.

4. The logo isn't well thought-out. 1) it's the state of Georgia... be more thoughtful, 2) the "icon" (if it can be called that) is behind the text, causing visual confusion (put it to the left), and 3) the font sucks (go with a cool, chunky, bold sans-serif).

5. The search box and login box look carelessly thrown in place. Think of a better way of addressing htem so they feel "thoughtful". Personally, I'd make a column to the right of the content and stack them vertically there (in which case you should make sure to put your labels above the respective input boxes for a vertical layout).

6. The left menu isn't in-line with its space. It's neither left-justified nor centered in the left "column" (talking visual spaces here).

7. All of your padding/spacing seems off. I tend to start with a number in mind (10px, 20px, whatever) and use the same spacing everywhere.

8. The vertical bullet bar is very cool, but the alternating color intensity is a little disorienting. I like the fact that you're experimenting, but I think the use of circles in a vertical pattern is interesting enough to warrant use of a single color.

9. You need more content. Photos, etc. Make an entire mock-up page. Also, try to use actual titles for your links where you can. I like to do "Home", "About Us", "Services", "Contact Us", etc., where I can just as a general base-set. It also looks more complete than "Link", "Link", "Link".

Your next step should probably be to finalize a color palette, before jumping back into the design.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    But then I FORCED myself to notice things on other designs, REASONS why they looked good!
    Quote Originally Posted by beachkitty85
    It's easy to look at a site and think "wow that looks great", but sometimes it's hard to actually explain why it's great, just like you said.
    Let me preface my comment with an acknowledgement that I am not a designer. However, having worked with many designers over the years (as a web developer) I wanted to touch on a facet of design that may apply here.

I have seen great designers put forth much effort on a great layout (spending many sleepless nights) only to have the client come back with some variation of "I don't like it" or even worse "Can you change this, this and this"

Some clients are hiring a designer with implicit trust that the designer is the designer, and that the final look of everything is in the designers hands as they should know what is best. But I have found that such clients are few and far between.

I would say most clients are looking for someone to implement their vision. To implement what they want (because they can not implement a website themselves).

Well, I have probably gone way off on a tangent here. I just wanted to point out to make sure what frame of mind your client is in. Do they want a pastel style site? Do they trust you implicitly? Should you make 2 or 3 comps so they can choose different ideas? etc...

Member #
    I don't think much of the colours in it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads