Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

and please sign up/post on my forum.

I host the site on a Mac Mini, PPC 1.42 GHz. Using Apache 2, Mac OS X, PHP, and MySQL, through a Cable line.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser9214
    and please sign up/post on my forum.
    that sounds like an ad...:ermm:

anyway. I am glad that you are using css, but the background is distracting, and the whole website is plain/simple. I think that you need more then just a homepage, and a forum (I know that this website is like that right now, but tons of new features are going to be added)

Member #
    Lower the body text size, and give it proper leading and paragraph splits. Right now it looks like a big block of text which I just can't be bothered to read.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Oh, this was serious, not an ad... Well, you need a solid color behind your text, it is distracting as it is now. Why in the world would I want to join your forum? Your site, as is, gives me no reason to want to. Why would I want to visit your site again, there is nothing to make me want to come back. Is it a blog, a portfolio, a hail mary attempt to have a cool website? Your forum button doesn't match, and sticks out like a sore thumb. What's with that header, I am all for interesting font combos for things, but those don't work together. Also, your links ae very hidden since you didn't bother to change them from the default blue, and well.... your background is blue.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Yes, the general problem is that there's just nothing on the site. You can't just open up a forum and wait for people to join. People won't come to your party just because you've set up some chairs and tables. You need to grab their attention by either having something interesting (in our analogy, this could be a band or great food), have interesting people, or is advanced in some topic.

And why in the world would a site be called "macuser9214"? Even for me to type this in this reply textarea, I need to go back to your post just to remember the number.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It looks like a site you'd throw up in Frontpage, in all honesty. You've used CSS which is good, although it looks suspiciously like something a poor editor would create (I can't for the life of me understand what p.amargin and p.cmargin could be used for, the names are meaningless).

Anyway, first time right? Have to start somewhere; I was rubbish when I started out, AND I used FrontPage. Bad bad bad.

Your forum will not attract attention because your site doesn't have a clear intent. It looks like a page to describe yourself, but then there are pictures and stuff, and the forum.

Keep working at it; you'll get better over time if you stay motivated and willing to learn.

Member #
    I spose we all had at least one website like this...

Member #
    I got rid of the homepage alltogether, and just made it links to the blog/forum.

How do I make it so that "users will want to come back"?

What should I add? I figured the blog would attract members, if I keep with it, and get the word out.

Member #
    Yes, the blog would attract some attention, although you'll need something unique in order to amass any community of considerable size.

Just go with your blog, and post the forum link there. Those buttons just don't look good...

Remove Ads