Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Recently I had an idea about a way to navigate through a tree that is quicker than the typical outliner. So over the past few days I did a javascript/prototype/scriptaculous implementation of the idea. Personally, I like the result, but before I spend more time on perfecting it and making it work on Internet Explorer, I would like to get opinions.

View an example here .
    It doesn't work in Internet Explorer at the moment.

Is it a good/bad idea? I wrote the code pretty quick so there are probably some bugs and room for improvement in the implementation. If you see any obvious things, you can mention them here.

If your interested you can follow its development at my blog.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks pretty good, I'm just not sure if it would be intuitive.

Concerning editors, though you seem to have settled on textmate -> vim is awesome, and free ;-) My older brother was a textmate lover who, once he learned vim... Well, let's just say his textmate license is currently unused :-P

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I'm with Shadowfiend. It's a neat experiment, but probably not intuitive enough for every day use.

Also, it would probably be more "flowy" in Flash.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies. The reason for my experimenting is because I am trying to find a better, faster way to navigate a tree when the tree has lots of information and deep levels. The alternative to this is the typical outliner where you manually expand and collapse levels. This is pretty good, but when you start to have huge trees, it becomes frustrating to try to find the information you want quickly and be focused on that information, then quickly go to other information.

In the web app I am working on, the typical tree just won't cut it because the trees users will be navigating and editing will be huge. So if this solution isn't intuitive, I would like to find a more intuitive solution that meets my goals. Any ideas?

Is there any particular element of the Zoomable tree that makes it unintuitive? Or is it just the idea in general?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, it's worth considering to make it expand on hover, and make unselected elements entirely invisible. So it would be sort of like a traditional tree, except that instead of expanding when you click, it expands when you hover. This way, the navigation will be somewhat faster. Even what you've already got with expand-on-hover might be a better plan.

Member #
    Thanks for the input Shadowfiend. I've been experimenting with your ideas. Using the results of the experiments was a little difficult because when I am trying to focus on something, it is so easy to lose the focus because my mouse accidentally went over something else. So it has a sort of fleeting feel.

But one thing that may work is keeping it similar to the way it is except that when you mouseover a item, that item gets enlarged a little bit so you can see clearly what it says (for the zoomed out items). That way you can easily go from a deep level to a shallow level and vice versa without having to navigate through intermediate levels.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The other option is putting a delay on it and putting a box around it. So, put a border on the element currently marked as `selected', and make that box follow the mouse around instantaneously; however, the `focus', so to speak, i.e. the enlarged part, won't actually change unless you hover over one item for more than, say, 500ms or something. Or, you can combine the two, and make the delay enlarge it completely, while a simple hover just enlarges it a little. The enlarge a little + click might also work.

Member #
    I'll do some more experiments and post the results.

Thanks for all the input shadowfiend.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Np. Give us a look at what you come up with

Member #
    I have developed an updated version based on input from users. You can see the updated version here.

You can see what changes I made on my blog. I'll use my blog keep all who are interested informed.

What do you think of the changes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads