Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: New portfolio

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.7 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I created this not long ago to be my portfolio. I finish college with an AAS in software development in a little less than two weeks and I need to get this site out the door quick. My goal was to keep it simple, and I think I achieved that rather well. I'd like any thoughts except anything along the lines of "It needs more Web 2.0."

I'll be putting it on a new domain too, but I haven't purchased it quite yet.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    The site is functional and quick to load.
    I personally do not care for the layout, although it shows that you have the ability to create unique designs, the graphics for them, and the functionaility behind them it is too far from the norm for my tastes.
    This is something that you may be looking for in order to be remembered, but as often as that may be a benefit to you it could also be a deterent.
    As for content the only thing I can suggest would be to remove the word awesome. In my opinion it is not professional, which is what you are trying to portray I assume as this site will be for job application purposes.
    Adam

Member #
    I like it, and will give more detail after I get the baby to sleep. (Sorry, got distracted when the pizza got here.)

Here goes. I love the subtlety of the green background image, and the color combos. The two changes I would make are to make the rollover text brown not black, and widen the tan content area some.

Really nice!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    creadiv - Thank you for your review. Although I don't agree that my site is far from the norm as the norm is being stretched every day by new and unique sites, I do value your input about that. Regarding my wording, I definitely see where you're coming from on that. I'll change it before I open the site. Right now the content is pretty spur of the moment and in some cases not even there (the about page).

chris - Thanks. I'll play around with the rollover a bit. I don't know how much difference the brown would make or what the concrete reasoning for the change would be, but I'll see how it looks nevertheless. As for the content area, I was specifically trying to make it thin. It's not the thinest of thin sites, and it's definitely not the widest of wide sites. I knew from the beginning that I didn't want lengthy blocks of text, hence I went for a thin site.

Thanks all for the critiques so far.

Member #
    firstly the pastel color are quite web 2.0

would agree with changing the rollovers to a sandy color, different shade used in the content area.

would always advise to have a image gallery of your work so that it is easily available for your users

Member #
    Thanks for the thoughts, Karloff.

I guess I will change the rollovers since that's two votes in favor now. I'll get a picture of myself too, I just need to take a good one. Wearing a tie.

The site is up now at pidde.net. I still have to work on the content - it's just hacked in right now.

I actually have an interview today that I'm very confident about, so I may not need this site so quickly after all.

Member #
    Good luck on the interview.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    good news, hope you get it

Member #
    I just found out tonight that I got the job. It's a paid job at my school making an alumni site.

I changed the link color on my portfolio, btw. A nice brownish color. Hope it's what people had in mind. I have yet to work on the copy.

Member #
    Much better.

Oh yea..... Congrats on the job!

Remove Ads