Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: my new project.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm going to design a site for the town I live in.

Any tips for a site about info on a town?

Ta,

Member #
    I would suggest that you put alot of nice pictures of it into your site.
    What is even better and more impressive than just plain pictures of "this street" and "this feature" is pcitures with people in them, if it is to be advertising to people who may want to visit this town, then put a lot of interesting pictures all over the site. After you have got all them pictures in there, focus on some really good content to describe the pictures and such.

Enough about pictures, make the design simple and easy to navigate thru. think about who you are targetting to reach from this site. U know, make it age appropriate etc.

hope it goes well, i've rambled. now im even moooore tired.

Member #
    I definately agree about the pictures. Pictures can make a site look 10 times better. Also, when making a site for your town, you have the potential to offer advertisements for local businesses. If done tastefully, I think it could work. Popups and ugly banners would make the site look cheap, regardless of what was on it, but something like "this site sponsored by blah blah" or a "preferred businesses" directory may work. You could also go the generous nice guy route and make a page where all businesses can list their contact info, free of charge, kind of like your own little yellow pages.

It all depends on who your target audience is. If it's tourists, then you would need to give your visitors the names and numbers of some businesses you think they would like to visit. If you are targeting residents, then I think some news, and some pictures updated frequently (a gallery?) would work, and you may be able to get away with a sponsor or two.

The reason I say include businesses is because when I think of any webpage for my town that would be useful, I think of it listing the small shops and businesses that are downtown that dont have websites. Also listing town baseball schedules, or local government type stuff would be handy.

Well there's my two cents, however corporate sounding as it may be. Good luck w/ the site

Remove Ads