Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Here's something we've been working on for a about a week. It's still really rough, but gives a general idea of what we're going for. Essentially, we want to mimic the fun, irreverent, atypical style of www.chipotle.com

The chicken intro is basically gonna be the chicken walks onto the screen, clicks the button, and goes up in a puff of smoke, becoming a whole cooked chicken.

Comments, please!!!

Member #
    God it's so annoying to use sometimes! There's no threshold on menu closing (with the annoying chicken jump) and it's hard to pick some of the lower-levels if you're in a hurry...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    the menu is annoying, specifically the shaking part.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Terribly annoying.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Annoying: check. Constructive comments welcome.

Member #
    Ok, how about a slight threshold for the submenus. Currently the whole thing shrinks if you leave the menu for a microsecond.

My problem with all of these expand-then-pick menus is that you have to carefully guide your cursor along two directions without leaving the menu at all. This is really hard.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    If there was some content there, it would be much easier to critique. I'm not a fan of the Chipotle concept (and thereby, not a fan of the Chicken Kitchen's). I would like to see some sort of anything besides the navigation when I first show up on the site. I do like the menu, but the whole bouncy, click me to see what I do is a bit annoying.

I also think that the intro could be a bit better, it was nice until the POOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the end. Since the concept is for the chicken to end up cooked, why not show a giant plate/bucket of cooked chicken?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    Ok, how about a slight threshold for the submenus.
    That's already on the to-do list. As I said in the initial post, this is still a rough concept, and WAY under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    I would like to see some sort of anything besides the navigation when I first show up on the site.
    Good point. We were planning to do something to indicate how the menu works. Also, the chicken animation will show before clicking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by -cris-
    I also think that the intro could be a bit better, it was nice until the POOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the end. Since the concept is for the chicken to end up cooked, why not show a giant plate/bucket of cooked chicken?
    Well, because it's not done. When it's done, as I said in my first post, there will be a puff of smoke and the chicken will be replaced by a whole, cooked chicken, which will "plop" on to the "ground", followed by a tag line, along the lines of "We love chicken. How do you like yours?"

From the comments I'm getting, I think it's still too rough to critique. We're gonna get back to development and I'll post it again when there's more to show.

Member #
    It's clearly a fun project for you. But there's scant notice taken of the user, or user needs.

While clever, it's not trying to impart any information which would justify the animation. Likewise the menu is mostly a gimmick, there for the designer to impress the client. You can almost see the user was left out of the discussion of the site design.

Constructive criticism would be first -- surgically extract the marketing people. Replace them with hard nosed direct response copywriting types. Next, make Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason) mandatory reading.

So I watched the circus of mental high-fives passively while chewing on a dry turkey sandwich until the client—and president of the bank whose boardroom we occupied—turned to me and asked what I thought of all of this.

“I’m sorry,” I said, and put down the sandwich. “But I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do here. I know you want a website that has something to do with these cars, but what is this site for?”
    -- Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason)
    I can see the mental high-fives. What I don't see is the reason for the site.

Member #
    Is there something so wrong with me that I can't see the intro, or why my reply was never posted when I tried to say this before (my connection broke)? Whatever it is, I'm not seeing the intro. XP, Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads