Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hi

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all. I just found these forums...Let me introduce myself, my name is James Mulvany - I'm 15 years old. I made my first 'proper' website around last august - when I got Photoshop and Dreamweaver. It wasn't amazing, but it was a pretty good shot.

Scince then i've been creating sites left right and centre and decided I want to make more of it and take it up as a job. I don't have a part time job and recently have created 3 websites.

The 1st was 'Screenweb' this is a site offering web design services, this can be found at http://screenweb.co.uk

The 2nd was 'C4U' offering graphical logo design, http://crafted4u.co.uk

The 3rd is still under development, but this I really am pleased with - I'm going to offer hosting on this one http://hostlab.co.uk

I've had a look round here and seen some of the sites and they are great, hopefully soon I will be upto that standard. At the moment, i'm slowly learning PHP.

Please tell me what you think of my 3 sites, I think i'm going to re-design Screenweb very soon - as i'm not 100% happy with it.

Member #
    Welcome to the boards James! I'll give you a few thoughts on your sites:

1. Your first one is my favorite. You may want to offer a portfolio, so people can see some work you've done. I realize you probably don't have much to put in a portfolio, but even making some templates would be a good way for people to see your work. Also, your "websites" page is a little akward, you have two links on that page with good information, but they are kind of just stuck in there. I think it would look nicer if it were put in the navigation somewhere.

2. I'm not a fan of the buttons you have for the nav. The blue border around the white content area is a little too thick too, IMO. Also, your first website offered to make complete websites, including graphics, and this site makes only graphics? Sounds like you are trying to run two companies that do the same thing.

3. For your third site, I think the crosshairs on mouseover look a little unprofessional. As for the rest of the design, I think how you lay out the content is an important piece of the design, so I'll comment more when there's some filler text. Right now it's just a few banners on top of each other.

That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth, enjoy your stay here at WDF!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hey James... welcome to the forums. Nice work all around... here are my quick comments before I leave work:

ScreenWeb - Nice looking site. Needs more content. Why is it so long, though?

Crafted4u - Don't like it. Easy to read and easy enough to navigate, but you're selling graphic design services on this thing... don't you think it should have a little more "POP" ?

HostLab - Clean, simple, pretty. I think this will be a nice site once you add some content.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    - content is the main issue
    - i suggest you really think about redesigning crafted4u with more of a clean flat interface to make it look like a site that can design good logos
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Yup your first site is the one that did it best for me although the colours are a bit glaring but that might work to your advantage.

I think you have the right idea for your host site and might suggest that you change the perdominance of your glaring company logo (maybe make it a bit smaller and move it to the bottom left or something).
    www.appletv.co.uk

JR
    Member #
    welcome James, i'm James

3 nice sites there, i like them

please will you cut your sig down to 4 lines please
    JR

Member #
    Thanks - I really appreciate that feedback, and I'll work on C4U, get it looking better in time. At the moment i'm concentrating on hostlab and getttin that up and running.

I've also been thinking about getting rid of the crosshairs - not too sure yet.

Member #
    Hiya James,

From one 15 year old to another - nice work! :classic:

However, a few l'il niggles:
    1. When viewed on 1280 x 1024, the 'banner' at the top doesn't fill the table cell, leaving a big ugly grey patch next to it. Suggested fix@ put some background on the cell and make the logo centered, or use pixels instead of percentage to specify how wide that table should be. Also all of their points! lol

On the website page, it says Contact us with your ideas ! - surely contact us is prominent and should be the larger one?

What makes a website, presentation or promotion look really good?
    Joe Bloggs may think that was a link and spend hours clicking on it to no avail... try and use just bold, or a stronger colour, for emphasis rather than underlines.

3. LOSE THE CROSSHAIRS lol

Another minor point, phone numbers.

Being 15, I personally wouldn't make them publicly available on the net, i know of someone who was 'pranked' to the point of taking the issue to the police. If you want to let them know that they can phone you, say something along the lines of 'we also offer telephone support - please email us for details.'

Oh, and punctuation shouldnt have a space between it and the preceeding word !

:cheeky:

Anyway, hope that helps.

Catch you around the boards!

Ollie
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    BTW... .I really like the idea of giving 1 year of free hosting with a site design. Nice package deal for the small business guys. Maybe throw in domain registration too.

Member #
    I think I mentioned that aswell, certainly on the 'Trade' deal. You get the whole deal for 60 for 2 years. Only a 3 page site though :bored:

Remove Ads