Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

so what do you think of it? I am 15, this is my "redone" site for hte same "personal business". I got $100 for doing it for the owner. I used photoshop, a little lightwave, imageready, and dreamweaverMX.
    One serious issue I have is with the prices on the People, Pets, and Scenic Landscape pages. The owner REALLY wants those prices available to customers when they see the page, and I did my best to get them in there without taking away from the art, and not SQUISHING it above the grey box.
    Now, please be kind in giving me tips without explaning how to do them... I know nothing beyond basic html, but I can edit it into the code if I am given the script. Otherwise, let me know what I should change, what yo like and what you don't like.
    (BTW, I know that the main page, the meat, might look better if it were in the middle of the screen rather than top left, but I couldn't make it work in Dreamweaver because the art galleries on the people, pets, and scenic landscape pages are on layers that didn't move to the position I wanted if I clicked "Center". If anyone can tell me for sure how to do that, then great, otherwise, please refrain from making note of that flaw on the site... I am ashamed of it :cry: :nervous: )

Member #
    OK, here goes. I will do my best not to be completely negative. I will say that for a first design, it isn't terrible, not many people can just jump right into web design and have gorgeous sites right away. We all have to start somewhere.

Now, for the critique:
    1. It looks very dated.
    2. Never, ever use Comic Sans. NEVER! Just don't.
    3. Don't use an image when text will do.
    4. The hover state of the buttons don't fit with the style of the page, or the non-hover state.
    5. You really shouldn't display the email address like you have it. It will only attract spammers. Use a form instead. Filburt has a good one posted here.
    6. There are no prices at all on the pets or scenery pages.
    7. Search Google for some Photoshop tutorials, so that you can practice a bit more.
    8. Search Google for other artists pages to see what they look like, and to gain inspiration.

That is it for now.

Good Luck!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks for the critique!
    Unfortunately, I can only fix certain aspects of your critique because of the way I designed it and the amount of time it would take to fix. I'll admit that my way of designing th site wasn't THE most efficient for editing the site, but it was all I knew how to do and... At only $100, I don't have the time to spend teaching myself or reading up on how to redo some of the stuff. But.......
    I will be adding the prices to the pages you mentioned, for the time being, only as a simple line of text as on the People page. But what I would like to do is get some very simple ideas of how else to advertise the price without making it too fancy, or getting into extremely advanced code, or even adding another page.
    What font do you guys suggest? I cannot change the font of the menu so... IT will have to stay Comic Sans
    Are there colour aspects to it (preferably just the pictures or gradients that I'm using) that I can change to make it less "dated" like you say?
    I will probably add an email form, but not at the moment... I will get the rest of the design done before doing that.

Thanks for YOUR help, and I welcome any one else's suggestions or fixes to the questions I have above!

Member #
    Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica. Any of those are a good choice.

The textures are a big reason it looks dated. The only gradints I see are in the nav and the Warning box.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Ok, I'll change all fonts to one of the ones you mentioned... Preferably one of hte smaller sized ones (I know htat verdana is fairly big, so probably not that one).
    Textures: You mean the canvas style texture in teh nav bar? and the "hardly recognizable" texture on the main part of the page, as well as the little box in the top left corner? Which of those are bad, and what should they be changed to, in your opinion?
    LOL, you missed the biggest gradient of them all the excess background gradient. It goes from grey to black. I only did that to contrast everything else. I needed something to go back behind the page, but white was just TOO plain, black was too much, but... this worked just right. So, what, in your opinion, is wrong with the gradients, and what would YOU change it too?

Member #
    I don't see a black to grey gradient. And the textures you mentioned are the ones that I said makes it look dated. I would recommend solid colors or smooth gradients (one shade of a color to a different shade of the same color).

Verdana is only big if you make it big. But Tahoma is nice.

Member #
    I understand the pricing issue and not wanting to go back and rework it. Though I wouldn't put this into any portfolio.
    At some point someone will say "I hear you do websites, can you show me what you've done" and this will be in your portfolio.
    You probably won't get much business from it, so take some free time and mock up some demo sites of your own.

As soon as I saw it, I thought of the early-mid 90's Frontpage templates.

Chris was on the money with his critique of the site. There isn't much I can add.

Keep going, develop your skills and you will do well. Nobody likes their first designs and mine wasn't much better!

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    I would show you my first, but it has been butchered beyond what I did to it.

Member #
    Mike, I think you should learn to code anyway. Doing so with help you with further websites. The "professional" style of sites are often byproducts of the creation process. Sites developed in stuff like dreamweaver are often very image-heavy. The professionals usually avoid DW and as a result their results look more clean and simply more professional. I strongly suggest you learn to code.

And yes, I am your age. Just a year older.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    what do the pros use? See, I see my career being more into the hardware engineering end of the computer spectrum... I prefer the electronics over the code, and I always have... So I probably won't ever REALLY get into coding, but if I need to, I'll teach myself what I need to know to make what I need to make (If that made much sense).
    Thanks for the critique you guys!
    Still, any ideas on the price? How to do what I described before?

Also, note that a lot of the design is photoshop because, another point to this project (me redoing the original website) was because I needed a final project for an info and consumer design class that used photoshop for a lot of the work. My site used a lot of photoshop creations only because the teacher wanted to see something that stood out visually--- not necessarily professional advertising. I'm not contradicting anyone here.... I'm just trying to give an excuse for some of my poor work :cheeky: :classic:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads