Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Webapp Critique

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've been working on this social news site, any feedback on the design/concept would be much appreciated.

http://newsnet.webdever.net/

Member #
    Hi madmonky1,

I am guessing that your site is where visitors can sign in and submit news stories that they have found interesting. Is that right?

Personally, I like a good "monochromatic" color scheme, but I am not sure it will do well on a "social" type site. Perhaps you may consider adding some color. Maybe create some little graphics to represent each of the categories and have them in a menu on the home page. Just a thought.

I think you're off to a great start.

Member #
    Thanks for commenting

The idea is digg/reddit thing that people can submit stories they found intersting and vote them up or down. The voting part might not be clear because the arrows are hidden for anonymous users. Maybe there's some way I can fix that.

The other part is that it's not just one site, it lets users create their own social news "networks" on whatever topics they want, and the best links from each are shown on the front page. I've added the phrase "user-created" to the intro text, hopefully to make that a bit more clear.

The fact that users can define their own categories makes the graphic thing a bit trickier, but I think it is worth exploring. For now I've cleaned up that sidebar on the front page, and added some green arrows and hovers to the navigation, to give it a little bit more color.

Member #
    Check out searchles.com, if you have not already. They allow one to create a "group" and submit stories, etc. May be similar to what you are doing.

Regarding the voting thingy, what about creating a graphic which prompts the reader to vote. Then, if that reader is not logged in when they attempt to vote, they are prompted to either login OR register. That is what Digg does I think.

Member #
    This reminds me a lot of a design I've seen before...i can't put my finger on it though...

Anyway, not much color, and it seems top heavy. Work on making it clearer what the site does. If i stimbled on it, i'd think it was a spam site right away.
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Remove Ads