Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

I haven't done much web design/development. I'm not completely new, but I'm definitely not an expert. My site is suppose to be an entertaining site for kids/families to watch & submit videos. Currently, there is no submission area, so all I really have area 3 videos posted. Anyway, though this is in the earlier stages, I was hoping to get some pointers/tips about how to make the site attractive & functional.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

my site is http://www.kidsvideostation.com

Member #
    Um.... well... It is very bright (just because kids like bright colors doesn't mean that you should make them want to gouge their eyes out), and the scrolling bit on the left hand side gets annoying fast. The navigation is not clear, and the buttons have jagged edges on :hover. Also, the ads cause a side scroll (1024X768). The overall design looks old/dated.

Good luck!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    I agree, and, personally I think that the site is altogether too busy. There are too many things going on at once.
    The videos go one after another. That is quite unfriendly, and the table at the bottom is very unprofessional.
    Yes, and the colors are distracting. This site, in my opinion, needs some work.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I wasn't sure it looked that great, but it was my first attempt.

Anyway, since then I've come up with 2 layout alternatives to the site, and posted them here. Before I go through the process of making them into webpages, I thought I'd post them here to get some feedback and see if they're worth designing.

Thanks.

Alternative #1: http://www.kidsvideostation.com/kvslayout1.jpg
    Alternative #2: http://www.kidsvideostation.com/kvslayout2.jpg

Member #
    Dont like the adds but.. Looks ok, i think you could come up with a lot better.. something maybe more eye catching!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/games/play/index.shtml

Its for kids, you've got the jist of it.. by the way im not a web designer im more a graphics guy

Member #
    Too be honest I believe the logo is too large and bulky and is determining your site layout, try a redesign maybe in vector format and it should look better and allow you to adjust its size without any trouble.

Member #
    agree totally.. vector format is much better to use, its not implemented as a jpeg which means it can be resized to any size with a touch of a button

Dan

Remove Ads