Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

At the moment it is a concept image.

I am designing a web 2.0 review site. What do you think of the layout & its usability.

Comments & suggestions are welcome and looked for :classic:

Member #
    I think contrast is too high. I know you want usability, but that doesn't mean max contrast. The main width is too wide IMO. It can be hard to read text that wide. Your layout also seems rather... vanilla. Nothing really striking or interesting on first sight. Buttons and text all look tight, not a good usability point either.

I say a redesign is in order.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks for your comments. I wanted a dark layout and that was the best I could come up with maybe I might try lightening the colors. After looking at it I agree with you about the width of the layout, with my site I will probably have advertisements and other side bars like RSS readers.

To be honest I do not know what you mean by "vanilla."

Any suggestions on what to change to make it look striking?

Thanks again for your input.

Member #
    Maybe instead of black, use a dark grey.... Plus, for the logo/name, I would stick to one color for the text of it. If the name of the site is two words, then you can use two colors, but just to make the first letter a different color looks off.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Hmm...I'm quite bothered by the buttons. Square buttons will give the site a much more...professional appearance.
    And I agree with the contrast issues. Dark gray should be fine.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    ok I will do that; was just trying to give it a web 2.0 look.

I'll try a redesign tonight.

Any more suggestions?

Member #
    Yes you've been playin divine divity 2 too much! lol death knight.

Dont like it, its very black, more colours should be used througout the site.. It looks like a big text box.. you should maybe spread out the site and introduce a few more boxes.

Dan

Member #
    Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else would be appreciated I am doing the redesign now and would like to cover as much as possible.

Member #
    Ok here is my re-design:

What do you guys think:

http://chevronx.com/files/images/RevisedLayoutv2.png

Member #
    I preferred the title on the last design, I thought the green first letter was nice.

I think you should tighten it up, currently you design looks very rushed. The black borders should rap around the white content boxes. Furthermore the left and right columns should be a little wider and be only 1 or 2 pixels from the center column. This will make it look far neater.

Once you have done this you might want to add curved corners to the top left corner of the left column and the top right corner of the right column.

You might also want to add some texture to your title bars. If you want a stripe create a new 5x5 pixel document. Delete the background. Zoom in, create a diagonal line with the pencil tool, be it either black or white. Then click on Define patern. Select the headers with select tool, then go to layers->new fill layer->Patterns. Select your pattern then reduce the opacity. I think this would look good if done right.

Add some more space between the sitename and the content.

Finally work a bit on your text. You may have the best content in the world but if you don't present it correctly then no one will read it. Add some width between each line and make the font a little bigger.

I think the above would greatly improve this design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads