Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was looking for a web design forum to get some critiques on my first real up-and-running site. It's a simple design, I realize, quite NOT Web 2.0, but the point is to showcase the art.

I'd particularly like critique on the usability and functionality, but if you want to give me aesthetic criticism, please go ahead. Buy some art while you're at it.

P.S. We know that some of the photographs need cropping or have reflections-- this is the client's responsibility, and she is working on getting them fixed.

Saxartist

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The design is complex enough for an artist. No need to get all artsy on the site itself - that will only detract from your work.

Some suggestions I would make:
    1. Your homepage serves no purpose. Axe it and make the site load the Gallery straightaway. That's what your site is about - no sense not putting it right there for people to see.

2. Your "template" changes from page to page. your name and the main menu should stay in the same relative position on every page. Otherwise, you risk confusing people.

3. Consider adding a little font styling to your main menu. Also, consider separating the items with pipes ("|").

4. Your flash gallery has a specific width. If I were you, I'd encapsulate your whole site in a DIV of that width in order to keep all your content nicely formatted. This will force your "About the Artist" page, for example, to wrap the text when it extends beyond the desired width.

Member #
    Hi Saxartist,

My notes will be on functionality only.....

1. Navigation that is not in the same position on each and every page becomes annoying and frustrating. As a standard you should try and keep the navigation in teh same spot for every page so that the user doesn't have to feel like they are looking for the navigation.

This is extremely important for the feel of the site when using it. I have an online and print design company and use the internet every day, and if I have to look for the nav, I get frustrated!

2. The gallery is also frustrating to use. The navigation on the right hand side disappears from view and there is not even a tab or anything in sight to hint at the fact that there are options on that side of the page.

The text on the left of the gallery is also quite small. I understand the reason for using a gallery like this, so that you can upload the work easily...However, there are much better and nicer open source applications online that I would recommend you look into to enhance this gallery. Google something like "free flash gallery" etc....

3. To make the site more memorable...and also to add interest to the artists' name, I would recommend a logo for her.

I hope these few quick pieces of advice may help you in some way!

All the best

Brian
    Web Design Fort Myers

Member #
    Thanks a lot for the replies.
    transio: All of your comments are very helpful and, fortunately, easily implementable. Thanks a lot! I'm starting to "get" web design, but it's the little things like that width issue that make it perfect.
    Aurora Web Tech: I'll fix that position, that's just ONE extra <br /> tag, shows the power of a quarter inch. As for the gallery itself, I have to say I can't agree. The disappearing thumbnails are annoying, I'll fix that. But as for the gallery itself, it's the "nicest" one that I found, and the artist's favorite. I find it easy to use, easy to view, and easy for the artist to update. And by the way, I did find it by searching for "free flash gallery," it's just that we've subsequently paid for a license, so no changing the whole thing now. :dead: I can also make the text bigger, I realize that's an issue. Thanks!

Member #
    I agree that simple is better when showcasing art, but I would change the nav font to a san-serif rather than TNR.

The gallery link is broken, and the logo and nav jump around when visiting different pages.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think there are two main issues with the Gallery...

a. the styling of the navbar clashes with the styling of your site - not sure what ability you have to re-style. It also seems to do strange things
    b. on lower resolutions (eg. 800x600) when the images do appear on the right they overlay the description and price of the image being displayed. Surely it would be better to put the description below the image where it's safe from marauding thumbnails?

It's irrelevant to the question you asked but I am intrigued... is the reason you used a Flash gallery script rather than something that used Ajax/DHTML or similar driven by the customer, perhaps feeling it would protect her copyright? I ask because I have a customer who wants to protect his images and wondered whether it was worth considering Flash, but have pretty much decided now that if people want to steal them they only have to do a screen capture from the browser anyway so I think I'm going to stick with Lightbox.

Here's a Lightbox gallery for comparison... the great advantage is the fact the larger images actually take up no space at all on the screen, being overlaid...

http://www.photoshoplab.com/examples...ery/index.html

Sean

Member #
    Have u got a link for this gallery?
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    I totally dig the website. Really hightech!! I think It would be alot more attractive if there was a slideshow. Again, just my 2 cents.

Member #
    OMFG just took a proper look at this website

It uses times new roman, should be a sans-serif font.

the menu moves when you click about the artist or contact us.

And you have used a contact form generator that doesnt have CAPTCHA.

you should really get these sorted
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    OK...

1. You should use pipes and sans-serif font for the bottom navigation. You may also want to align it to the main content.
    2. The gallery is very difficult to use.
    3. Color scheme is dull and unattractive.
    4. Your contact form does not work. Also, it does not have a validator. Also, the link to the gallery isn't working.
    5. You can't go 'home' from the about page.
    6. Navigation should stay in the same place - either on the top or the bottom of the page - it must be consistent.

I would suggest looking into redesigning the color scheme, font type and size, and overall layout of your site.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads