Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    I have recently finished a very time intensive web site for a plumbing and heating company. The web site http://www.hotandcool.co.uk features a lot of information about the services of the company and background information of each service.
    It also offers an online shop (small product base at present) with a number of features and a customer account area where customers can view previous orders, pay and view previous invoices, change their information and additional features.
    Given the target audience I tried to make the site easy to navigate and simple in design. The challenge was to present the information (for which there is a lot of) in interesting and easy to read way.
    I have so far had some pleasing responses but I was looking for further responses from people in the know.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Member #
    I can't say I love the striking blue colors. Thats my immediately reaction... I'll look around and add more about content later.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    I can't say I love the striking blue colors. Thats my immediately reaction... I'll look around and add more about content later.
    Fair enough, although the blue colours are the company's chosen colours that they wanted to feature heavily throughout the site. Ii'll look forward to your additional comments, thanks for looking.

Member #
    Bumpty bump, has anyone else got any other comments on my website. Sorry to seem pushy but when you've been doing something for so long it's good to hear feedback, good or bad (although I would obviously prefer it to be good).
    Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The site map is really great... I like that... very easy to navigate.

Only negative thing... top right... does the background need to be black for those two logos? Seems to break up the consistency of the blue.

But very good... I like it... I am also not a great fan of so much blue, but the customer is the person who dictates their corporate image and that is not under your control so within the constraints imposed I think you've done an excellent job.

:-)

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, on your links page... why the completely different styling for the external rather than the internal links?

I'd be inclined to keep them consistent.

Also, remove the e-mail address from your "contact us" page... if it has to be there, replace it with an image with an alt tag that doesn't mean anything... e-mail addresses in code are prime targets for spam harvesters... also, if you have a formmail script put the e-mail address in the php/perl, not on the page...

Sean

Member #
    Well, for my computer, the blue seems a few shades too bright...it kind of hurt my eyes looking at it.
    Otherwise, it isn't bad.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks good overall. The only two things I would personally change are the scrolling news on the home page. It's a bit too distracting. Also, a few pixels margin below the footer would lift them off the very bottom of the page and help make the whole thing feel more finished.

Member #
    Thank you for all your comments,
    For reference I have a copy of the old web site that may explain where the blues came from:... http://www.testingwebpage.co.uk as you can see there is a lot of blue and black and my brief, as it were was to still use as much blue and black as possible. Given that the old web site is over 2 years old the customer didn't want to change the actual colouring all too much.

Sean: Thank you for your comments, if you refer to the old web site the black at the top right is kinda the choice colouring for the web site and it also makes the orange stand out better on black rather than blue, but I do see your point. Links, hmm haven't really got an answer for this other than I thought it might look better to make the links a different style, but I might have another look at it now. Lastly regarding the email address, thanks for pointing that out, I was meant to change it before it went live. I use to use a mail spam blocker in dreamweaver that turns all the email address to hex code. But for some reason when testing in IE7 it didn't work, but yep good spot I'll have to address that.

entity: I have tested the site on a number of computers and different monitors and people. It did all look fine, but I guess everyone's eyes and computer screens are different, but I will see if a number of people report this problem before I change it as it would mean changing a lot of graphics. But thank you for your comments I shall keep this in mind.

mossoi: Thank you for your comments, two good points there. I was having second thoughts about the news reel also. Trouble is I need a fair bit of text to scroll, I think I will look at alternatives to this as i think once it gets going the reel is a bit too fast. I shall add the margin to the footer and see how it looks, but I think you're right it should look better, thanks.

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_h75
    Fair enough, although the blue colours are the company's chosen colours that they wanted to feature heavily throughout the site.
    It's a shame you can't change their mind very subtley on it - the site is begging to have "hot" and "cool" colours, it being the url name. The orange is ok I think as "hot" - shame you can't tone the blue down to a lighter "cool".

Remove Ads