Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

What's up everybody. I'm knew to the forums and I noticed that you guys have a section that allows you to get some critism on website design. Please take a look at this site I just released for my "services."
    Thanks guys.

Member #
    The layout is good, copy is a little weak, but has good points like clarifying purpose and goals.

Check out ASPwebhosting for an example of strong copy.

Overall, good. Webhosts are notorious for unimaginative layouts and using price as a crutch to substitute for a marketing plan. So this example, while it could be improved upon, is refreshing.

Member #
    When you say copy is a little weak, what do you mean? Can you elaborate on this?

Member #
    When you say copy is a little weak, what do you mean?
    Take any selection of copy, like so...

BigLevel Productions believes that your image is a reflection of your business and is a critical piece to your success. All projects that we create achieve the client's intended objectives by clarifying its purpose and goals, mapping the project structure, and developing the creative "look and feel." We get in and do the job so you can get on with your business and feel confident that you are getting the best product.

Weak: Your image is important. Or image is a reflection of your business. Or other trite "sweet nothings." This fails the "so what?" test.

Better: Our branding process creates a visual theme for your business customers remember because it tells your powerful visual story.

Why? You're repositioning the competition as superficially good looking, ull of pointless decoration, and stock photography cliches. A theme is like using the word "balance" in a flash header, but then using the theme of balance in copy to talk about what is out of balance in business and how what you do restores balance.

Branding isn't nice looking images and nice sounding copy sharing a container but having nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Copy and image refer to each other to drive a "theme" into the customer's mind. One is a loose collection of elements. The other is a strategic factor of branding strategy.

The problem is style and content have become so separate, you could easily take the copy from any layout and swap it with any other layout. Branding requires the elements to be so dependent, is someone stole your copy and put it on their site it wouldn't fit.

Weak: We listen. Or "blah blah..." to meet or exceed client expectations or objectives.

Okay, that's bare minimum competence, it literally means we do what you want. Who isn't going to say that?

Better: Our Three step process clarifies your business objectives, so your website aligns look and feel with structure and purpose.

Why? You're trying to get people to be curious about how you do something. Your top page has to get people interested in going deeper, to learn what about your three-steps makes it more effective than the five thousand other competitors out there.

You have to tell your business story, not recite sentences you think customers expect you to say. That's not writing, it's typing. It's practically duplicate content you could rig a site generator script to output. Sure it's not an identical alphanumeric string, but it's the same things said over and over, site after site.

ASPwebhosting (the link I gave in my original post) goes to explain what they do which is different. It's called a unique selling proposition.

Retro Illustration Themes For Identity Design is an article about how you "theme" a site, which is a level beyond "skinning" a site with CSS.

Member #
    Just as a sidenote: this website has, according to McAfee SiteAdvisor, links to bad sites (registry-doctor.com). Click the links at your own risk (?).

Anyway, pretty nice layout. The text, as said above, is pretty traditional, but you'll catch on with the great post above
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Looks a bit too "more of the same" for me, a bit like any number of corporate websites - it lacks spark. With the exception of that image of some city or other across a river there are no images, and that makes it all rather "frightening" in terms of quantity of text.

You also need to pre-load the rollover images... it's a little disconcerting when you hover over an option and it goes black, albeit for only a few seconds until the rollover has loaded.

And what's with the copyright 2004? Sounds like you haven't modified it for 3+ years.

Sean

Member #
    Aww.. yes.. I'm glad I posted on here. Content is terrible, I agree. I did the design in 2004, and I am just now finishing it.
    I'm not thrilled about the content advisor. :cry:
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my site guys, I appreciate it. Keep on keepin on!

Member #
    Also in IE6 the layout is messed up. All of the buttons do not fit on the same line, the Contact button is directly below the Company button. This also pushes the main body content below the normal screen view, so you have to scroll down before you see it. I would have a look at this as there are still people who still use IE6 aranoid:

I agree with others, it looks too corporate with no personal touches that seperates your site from the other thousands of site that are selling the same thing.

Also I'm not sure if the 'Company News' section is worth adding, unless you put something in there that paints a better pitcure of your company. Things like 'Launched Website with minimal features' and 'date undecided' doesn't in my mind paint a good picture of your company.

Not all negative there are some things that are postitive, however if your make changes to your design and obviously your copy it will make a much better web site.
    Steve

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_h75
    Also in IE6 the layout is messed up. All of the buttons do not fit on the same line, the Contact button is directly below the Company button. This also pushes the main body content below the normal screen view, so you have to scroll down before you see it. I would have a look at this as there are still people who still use IE6 aranoid:

I agree with others, it looks too corporate with no personal touches that seperates your site from the other thousands of site that are selling the same thing.

Also I'm not sure if the 'Company News' section is worth adding, unless you put something in there that paints a better pitcure of your company. Things like 'Launched Website with minimal features' and 'date undecided' doesn't in my mind paint a good picture of your company.

Not all negative there are some things that are postitive, however if your make changes to your design and obviously your copy it will make a much better web site.
    Steve
    I completely spaced checking the site out in IE6. That shouldn't be too hard to fix. Thanks for letting me know.
    I agree with you about the News section, but it is an unfinished section. There have been a lot of other portions of the site I've been focused on. I do plan to improve this.
    Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming! LOL

Remove Ads