Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.8 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.6 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.8 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.2 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey Guys,

This is my personal web/art portfolio website, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback, critiques or criticisms.

http://www.1updesign.net

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It's pretty good, I reckon, clear with a nice colour scheme. Nice nav.

Not sure about the pixelation of the mushroom head in the logo - I know this is how it probably is because it's off an 8 bit/16 bit nintendo game, but it just doesn't look right somehow - any way you could get/make a smoother version?
    Also the words in the logo "1 up design" - the shadow on those is a bit solid - personally I'd just polish the logo up slightly but it is nearly there.

Also - you have "css 2 " and "xhtml 1" written down the bottom but you have a few minor validation errors - try getting yourself a firefox validation tool, or running the pages through wc3 validator. Most of them are missing "alts" for the images - theres a couple of missing "type" attributes from your link tags too.

When the windows open for your artwork I think they are too tall - they overrun the bottom of the page with no scroll so you can't see the bottom of the pic.

Nice funky shadow on the wrapper - perhaps you could soften it up a bit?

Attractive styling on the form on the "contact" page.

I like it though - well laid out and attractive. With some good content too!

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback and compliments Ferro, I really appreciate it.

I think you're right about the logo, I'm going to play with it and see if i can get something that flows better with the rest of the page.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Just some updates/changes I made to the site:

- CSS and XHTML for all pages now validate
    - Added background texture
    - Added dhtml/javascript image viewer for artwork/website pics, instead of using pop-up windows.
    - Cleaned up "web design" page content a bit
    - Smoothed the content wrapper shadow a bit

Member #
    Just checkin up on this, I noticed I got another rating with some pretty low scores. Not that I mind the scoring, I would just appreciate some feedback to go along with it so I know how I can try to improve the site. Thanks!

Member #
    I like the 1up image. Is there anyone on the internet who doesn't know Mario? Hahaha!. Anyway, I think I saw this 1up logo in one of the t-shirt design in thinkgeek.com.

I don't like the nav. It uses Arial without antialiasing. I feel that if you're going to remove the anti aliasing part, you could rather use text for you nav instead of images, or images with anti aliasing or have something a bit more creative.

Member #
    Hey blue_francis, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the navigation, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean. The text on the navigation bar is not images but in fact real text, check out the source. I just used a little CSS trickery to create the beveled effect and rollover. I didn't remove the anti-aliasing and it looks pretty smooth to me (tested on IE and Firefox), but maybe you are viewing it with some other browser and it is not rendering correctly? If you are, or even if not, if you could post a screenshot of what you see that would be great.

Member #
    Oh so it's not an image. That's a neat trick. Kudos Never mind the AA if it's not an image. Not that it's not an image, I don't like the bg color of the hover. It feels, too neutral I think or the text doesn't seem to stand out. I feels like it's being swallowed by the bg color.

Member #
    Yeah I kinda agree with you on the bg color of the hover. I'm actually working on a redesign of the nav tho, something a little with a little more of a modern feel, ill post here when I have it up.

Member #
    Ok, I've redesigned the navigation menu, if you guys want to take a look and give me some feedback that'd be great.

I'm still tweaking some elements to fit the color scheme, just an fyi as u might notice some colors are a little off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads