Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.6 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.2 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.6 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.4 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I think I'm finally ready to hear your feedback on this ceramic artist's site.

I decided to go with a simple design in order to showcase the work, but do you think it's too simple, i.e. boring?

This is the first site I've done for someone else and the first I've done using CSS. I've validated all the pages, even the tricksy Flash ones.

Looking forward to hearing your comments, :nervous:

Lisa

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Perhaps it's the header that's "too boring" - not the actual content bit.

It was a refreshing change to see a site actually coded properly and validated rather than the usual "30 errors " - nice one.
    I found the flash gallery a touch tricky to use - play, pause, that sort of thing but I do think it looks quite good.

Ok the site is fairly basic but I think it has some nice touches - like when you deaden the menu tab of the page you're on, stuff like that. There are some good pictures of the potter too.

I think you could work on jazzing it up in terms of the header, and maybe a very subtle background tile, but apart from that I thought it was quite clean and fresh.

Quick loading and snappy too. I think just jazz it up a bit and it's a quite a charming site really.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Oh - perhaps you might want to deaden the flash buttons until the next picture has finished fading in - something like that , not that it matters too much though.

Member #
    Thanks so much for your comments, Ferro. I see what you mean about the header and a background tile.

The artist actually wants a subtle background "texture," so I'm looking for an appropriate African pattern. After that I'll work on the header.

I must say I was quite pleased when I finally got all the pages to validate.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beiji
    The artist actually wants a subtle background "texture," so I'm looking for an appropriate African pattern. After that I'll work on the header.
    Perhaps you could make a tile out of one of the textures on his pottery? And then alpha fade it to about 25%.
    And maybe dig him out a font - either buy one or get a freeware one that you could make a graphic out of for the header? If you're into image replacement that is......
    Just some suggestions if you're stuck. I did a few art sites myself recently.

Member #
    Quite a nice looking site. Good job.

Anyway, there's got to be a little space under the "Read More" on the front page. Such an end is not pleasent. Just press Enter once and the problem will be solved. And yes, the header needs some improvement.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Ferro, thanks for the suggestions. I do feel stuck on the header. I fooled around with it yesterday in PS - pattern fills, strokes, overlays, etc. - with not very attractive results. But I did manage to create a background from one of the plates. I had tried it before unsuccessfully, but it was just a matter of finding a section that would tile well.

entity, thanks for your nice comment. Regarding the space below "Read more" on the index page, it's about 60 px and doesn't look too tight to me. I'll check the spacing on other browsers.

Member #
    I finally came up with a header - if anyone wants to check it out and comment, please do.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yup. That's the way - big improvement!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Perhaps you could do with a tad more padding (or margin on the pic) on the left of the main content area - certainly on the front page. The big pic sits up a bit snug against the edge at the moment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads