Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm new here, but I hope that I'll decide to hang around. I've dsigned this javascript-heavy webpage for myself (http://www.yerich.net), and I need your opinion. Just a few questions:
    • Do I need to change the background? Is pure black too much?
    • Should I include a text-only version? My audience ins't people with vision problems, but should it be accessable anyways?
    • Is the white on black not a good color choice?
    My website is designed to be very minimal, and its only 28KB for the whole thing.

I'm primarily looking for experience, as I want to have a nice portfolio by the time I get to university. How should I advertise myself as a person that's not looking for money?

Thanks a lot.
    Amateur high school web developer. I'm at yerich.net if you want me.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Point no. 1 - I think the black is a little too much, simply because the dimensions of the "site" are so small, so there's a lot of black. Perhaps a subtle pattern or gradient or something?

Point no. 2 - I'd say you want to try and make the site "degradable" - if people turn javascript off, they still get a version of it, if people switch css off they still get a version etc. etc.

Point no. 3 - depends on the site, Transio has a thread about his new site design which is mostly black and white (and shades) if I remember right.

LOL - I like your blog entry, very refreshing and honest! Some humour in your site......

Member #
    I'm done the background gradient, still working on everything else. Anything wrong with the design concept?

Member #
    It's simple and clean. I like the glow around the box, but I'd move the copyright line a little lower.

If what you're looking for is experience rather than money, you could say that. Maybe something like, "I'm seeking clients who would enjoy free web design services in exchange for allowing a young designer to build his portfolio."

I'm curious what you'll do with your current design if you add more content. Would you just make the box bigger?

Member #
    The overflow is set to "auto", so a scrollbar would pop up when I add more content. I've set the javascript to change it to "hidden" during the animation.

Member #
    I like it. Nice and clean.

Some bones to pick:

There is a delay between the click and when the animation occurs. I don't know if it is only me, but I get the feeling that it is a bit sluggish.

A minor cosmetic issue. The right border appears to be wider than any of the others.

The copyright text is tiny. Maybe up the size a tad?

Member #
    Strange... this doesn't happen with firefox IE7 or Opera. It may be a performance issue, I've been trying to get the client to do less work in the javascript side of things, but its seems that I can't get to run very fast on an older machine. My computer is almost three years old now, and it runs fine.

Member #
    Instead of posting your email address with the (at) and (dot) you could place an email form there. From what I've been told, you use certain types of forms your email address won't be indexed or spammed. I could be wrong but it's something to look into.

Member #
    A little small? I don't know, but maybe 1.5x its size on each side? Don't have to, though.
    Gradient bg is good.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    As far as layout is concerned, this is not my style at all. It's dark, with curves and gradients... not really my thing.

I like the humor aspect.

There's a unique "navigation" since there is really no navigation.

My biggest issue, is SALES... What you want to say is, "I'll build your site to get some experience." But, what I hear is: "I'm 14, I won't charge you, but you get what you pay for."

I'd be inclined to go a different approach, of "Help me build a portfolio special: First 10 clients will receive a free website, up to 10 pages." Or something like that. It says, I'm not doing this for everybody, and I'm not going to build a MAJOR website for free. You can change the numbers, of course.

Details: take out the link to 2advanced. If they don't know it, they won't think about it. Finally, there are many talented 14-year olds out there, so no need to remind a client in a negative way of your age.

Many people would rather spend money on a site knowing they'll get a quality product, than risk the time + uncertainty of something free, so it may be a tougher sell than you think.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads