Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    I have recently finished a stage hypnotist website using CSS and a php/mysql backend. The site is CMS based with all content being updateable via the admin panel. The website also features an integrated online store.
    In terms of merchandise and pictures/videos there is not much there at the moment as it's a new site and the owner still needs to add more content.
    A few things I need to do is optmise the videos better (these were given to me as VOB's) and also it could with better quality pictures (have to wait until client gets more pictures available).
    Anyway I would be interested to hear what other people think, any opinions welcome!
    Steve

Member #
    Pretty good, it seems to fit it's purpose, I reckon the website does not take itself seriously.

Member #
    Hi bfsog,
    Thanks for the comments, did you mean that the website does not take itself seriously in a good or bad way?
    As the idea was to make it lighthearted and not too serious given the type of business.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Member #
    I meant it in a good way Not saying it doesnt look professional, it does, but I think it suits the topic matter very well.

Member #
    Thanks for the comments bfsog, I did think you meant it in a good way but I thought I'd better check!

Also do you think the pictures are OK as I did find them all a bit red but I had to use the pictures provided, do you think the site gets away with it?

Member #
    I do like how you presented the site but,
    well to start i find the whole layout to be a tad plain . and i personaly wouldn't use a overlay on the buttons on the top (especially yellow on black ) the button to the left are a bit bulky but i guess you wanted to implement pictures into your buttons. the whole dark charcole navy blue backround doesn't match your charcole banner at the top. (if thats even how you write charcole, i really dont know)
    contact button doesn't work either.
    i like your gallery pretty cool never seen that effect before.
    whast with the white line under the banner though.

hope i helped keep on the good work bud,
    Drew

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well - after looking at that site, I thought I was a duck for two hours. I shall be sueing appropriately!

Only joking - quick comment - perhaps by having a menu down the side as well as across the top, you are taking up space that could be used for the site? Only a thought.
    Why not have a seperate page for the pictures/video clips etc. which is contained in the menu across the top?

Apart from that I thought it was pretty good.

Member #
    XSDrew and Ferro, thank you both for the comments:
    XS- I do see your point on the plainess, but I have done a site for my client before (a hypnotherapy site) and know that he likes very plain (almost all white sites) so I did try and keep it plainer than perhaps I would have liked to have done.
    Regarding the buttons on the top, I thought they worked well but I will take another look and see what's what. Bulky buttons, yep their big because I did want to put the picture in there, I tried smaller but you couldn't see the pictures very well. Also the background colours were not meant to match the banner as it would all then mould into one which I did not want, but I do take your point. Contact button does work but I did not notice that I was getting a few problems relating to php sessions and my hta file (a few lines to explain it properly so take my word for it) so I will have to look at that thanks. White line was just for the sake of a white line (and to seperate header from body) but I will see what it looks like without it, thanks for your comments.

Ferro - Thank you for your comments, the buttons at the side and top did make me think for some time. What you suggested was something that I was toying with and still may do, although I wanted to balance the number of buttons at the top with the size of the buttons, i.e. I wanted them as big as possible but fit as many in as possible, and that was what I ended up with. But as you suggested videos and pics should really have their own button I guess, the easiest thing would be to add simple dropdown buttons, i.e. hover over gallery then choose either pictures or videos...good points though I will think about it again, thanks.

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It looks like a website, but it's not gonna sell me tickets to his show.

If I were contracted to do the site, I would have made it just a black background with a video of him performing a "hypnosis" on the visitor to the site.

Something like this: "I am Jon Patrick, and I am an expert hypnotist. I will now perform hypnotism on you via the Internet - a feat that has never been done before! [cue music] You are feeling very sleepy.... blah blah blah... you will buy tickets to my show, and you will enjoy it very much! You will laugh when I make people do crazy stunts. You will by no means throw rotten fruits... etc etc"

Obviously there would be links to other pages with information.

Point is, now you have a website that embodies what he's about (comedy and hypnotism), and sells his work.

Member #
    Hi transio,
    Thank you for your comments...I do take your point and yes that is a good idea and an idea that I would have investigated further myself but like I said my client would not have wanted anything as fancy as that (even if it would have worked better) for the main site entrance.

I can still use this idea at a later date, as he has many domain names that point to the same site, perhaps a mini site could be done for special events (i.e. flyers/business cards were given out linking to this perhaps flash only site) then once the intro has finished, link to the main site for all the info and good stuff. In my opinion this could be the best of both worlds as it gets a flashy message across and also keeps mr google happy on the main site, what do you think?

You may think I'm just saying it because you said it but I did genuniely think about doing the site as you suggested, but alas I knew what my client would prefer so I did what I thought would make him happy, but thanks for the comments good points.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads