Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi guys,

Been a while since i've made a topic in here so i'll try and keep this short and sweet. Basically i'm looking at doing some freelance web design work with a friend in our spare time so we've brought our services together and come up with the following design. Let me know what you think:

Cheap Web Design UK

Please be honest in providing feedback, as i always say both negative and positive comments help build a stronger design.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alan

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Basically I think it's very good. I think that diagonal stripes b/g you have across the top is being waaaaaaayy overused nowadays - like 1 in every 5 sites I look at seems to have this. Also I don't like the way it abruptly cuts off into the grey background - how about gradient fading it into the grey background?
    Also - the word "cheap" - why not replace it with "affordable" or alternative, I don't think using the word "cheap" does you any favours.

Other than that no real criticism. The colours are good, the contrast is good. It's clear. How about some rollovers on "Home", "set packages" etc. ?

Very good. I like it.

Member #
    thanks for taking time out to comment, the reason cheap web design was chosen is because after researching various keywords cheap come out more popular search term in the uk above the likes of affordable, low cost, budget etc

Member #
    Cheap often implies very negative connotations - remove it when possible. People looking for good web design will not be searching for "cheap", most of the time. They will more often look for "experienced", etc. Besides, do you really only want your site to appeal to budget customers?

It looks quite nice to me, although I don't think a collapsible menu is necessary here. The menu should either close others on opening, or not use them at all. I don't see a benefit here...

But otherwise, it's good.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I like the blue, yellow, and red color scheme. The text in the header is a bit hard to read. I'm not sure if it's because of the fat font or the drop shadow.

In a couple places you say "cheap web design uk," as in "we provide cheap web design uk." Does UK belong in those sentences? Or is this an SEO thing?

Member #
    I think he's aiming for the search term "web design UK". I really think that doing this kind of stuff is bad. For quite a few reasons... First, I don't think exactly matching keywords have so much of an impact. Second, it becomes common because other sites use it.

Actually, google "web design UK", both with and without quotes. You'll see that not everyone really uses the term - most sites get good rankings for different reasons. I think the word "cheap" here is the main problem... I highly suggest removing it. When I hear "cheap", I immediately think worn-out, bad-quality, low-effort work..
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    thanks for the comments guys much appreciated, i understand your thoughts towards the word cheap and although you mention that cheap means worn out, bad quality, low effort work, do you think this is the case from the portfolio of work? people can see it's cheap but not compromising on quality?

Member #
    Good argument. It'll certainly help remove those connotations with the word cheap. But nevertheless, you don't want the word "cheap" to stick on your brand name, despite a good portfolio.

(basically, I just dislike using keyword targets in such a manner... feels somewhat like spamming. But of course, if it fits... )

Remove Ads