Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone,
    So I found out that I had asked someone in a different forum to take a look at my site and I didn't know that it wasn't allowed.
    So I hope this is the right place to put it! I'm very new to web design and this is my first site ever, any criticism is welcome so please...do your worst!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    DC covered pretty much all the standard stuff.
    Two other things I would try and fix:

1) When you click on the sites in your portfolio, they navigate away from your own site. You should have them open up a new window so that potential clients stay on your site in some capacity.
    This is especially important if they wind up going through a lot of clicks on the site you built
    2) Not sure what the issue is with this one, but when clicking on the "Scissor Sisters" site, the link at the bottom of their site shows "sitebuilder.com" or something to that effect. If they have changed over from you, you may want to have some info in your portfolio that you did the intial design or what have you.......plus, don't actively link it from your portfolio.

Good luck....
    1) good point, I fixed that.

2) Yeah, actually they're switching from sitebuilder, mine just hasn't gone up yet, I changed all of the links to larger jpegs. Also, I haven't put much work into the content yet, that's the next step

Thank you so much for your critique!

-C

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cssgeek
    1. On the drop shadows...you might be right, I'll have to look at that again.
    2. Where should I put the e-mail address then? I do want to be contacted by potential customers.
    4. On the "Clearwater Custom Web Design" perhaps I will just change the words so that you are supposed to read down and across! Brilliant!
    5. Most importantly, what do you mean by "a form for your contact page". Do you mean to put the data into a form?
    I've edited this quote, so don't anybody tell me I can't count

1+4 - I think it reads better better this way, but I don't like the line. Was the backlight there yesterday? I like it but it should go all the way to the top, yea?

2+5 - I suggest using a contact form in lieu of typing out your email address.
    - From a spam standpoint: If you want to keep it spelled out, do something that breaks the somename@somedomain.com format. So... somename [at] somedomain [dot] com or somename#somedomain.com, etc.
    - From a usability standpoint, contact forms are part of your site, whereas if you have an email address typed, someone has to go to their email application or another browser tab/window. There is some level of anonymity associated with mailforms so people are more comfortable using them. Not to mention they are so common these days that they are expected, and you definitely don't want to be behind the crowd! AND even if you don't know anything about creating mail forms, there's *lots* of sample code out there and on this forum.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Hi CSSGeek,

It looks way better with the main div moved up a bit and the menu brought down!

A question: why are you just showing jpegs of example work, rather than linking through? For a web design company, it seems like it would be useful for prospective customers to actually navigate your work, rather than just looking at it (as they would for a print design company).

The site is looking better and better, and it looks like you're getting some pretty useful feedback on here.

Cheers,

k.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kalchas
    Hi CSSGeek,

It looks way better with the main div moved up a bit and the menu brought down!

A question: why are you just showing jpegs of example work, rather than linking through? For a web design company, it seems like it would be useful for prospective customers to actually navigate your work, rather than just looking at it (as they would for a print design company).

The site is looking better and better, and it looks like you're getting some pretty useful feedback on here.

Cheers,

k.
    Hi Kalchas,

To answer your question, I just started learning html, css and java about two weeks ago. I enjoyed it and decided to start promoting myself and the websites that you see on my site are not complete. Basically, they're placeholders until I finish and put the websites up.

I'm currently just waiting for a couple pictures and some content then I'll finish them, put them up, and put in the links as well.

As for the feedback, you are correct! everyone on here is so helpful, it's amazing! I've learned allot of important things.

Thanks again,

Wil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads