Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone,
    So I found out that I had asked someone in a different forum to take a look at my site and I didn't know that it wasn't allowed.
    So I hope this is the right place to put it! I'm very new to web design and this is my first site ever, any criticism is welcome so please...do your worst!

Member #
    Yay, Clearwater! I grew up outside of Tampa in Hillsborough Co. </tangent>

First of all, with the white/black background, it's reading down then across, not across then down: "Clearwater Web Custom Design." Also, I'm not such a fan of the drop shadows, though we'll call that a personal opinion.

I think there's one too many fonts, maybe two too many. I like the TNR w/ extra kerning in the top right, but then the TNR on the bottom throws me off. Then the headers are different from the body, and there are italics...

Code-wise it looks pretty good. Clean. Not sure why there are some styles that aren't in the stylesheet. Putting an email address in your code is inviting spammers.

Overall, I like the layout; it is unique, good use of color w/ the black and white. Now all you need is some more content and a form for your contact page.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There are a few coding errors that my html tidy is throwing up that you might want to look at - line 34, an end tag for a div that was never open. Also it reckons that "style" and "link" aren't allowed where they are according to your doctype.
    Pass it through the validator at wc3.

Have you changed this site in the last couple of days from the blue one? It looks a bit better. I think centering the whole design might be an idea. Also the white column that the nav is in should extend down to the bottom of the page. At the moment it seems to fall a couple of inches short.
    Just a couple of thought there.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Yay, Clearwater! I grew up outside of Tampa in Hillsborough Co. </tangent>

First of all, with the white/black background, it's reading down then across, not across then down: "Clearwater Web Custom Design." Also, I'm not such a fan of the drop shadows, though we'll call that a personal opinion.

I think there's one too many fonts, maybe two too many. I like the TNR w/ extra kerning in the top right, but then the TNR on the bottom throws me off. Then the headers are different from the body, and there are italics...

Code-wise it looks pretty good. Clean. Not sure why there are some styles that aren't in the stylesheet. Putting an email address in your code is inviting spammers.

Overall, I like the layout; it is unique, good use of color w/ the black and white. Now all you need is some more content and a form for your contact page.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, Clearwater's really nice right now, the weather is perfect.
    A couple of questions for you sir (these are in no particular order):
    1. On the drop shadows...you might be right, I'll have to look at that again.
    2. Where should I put the e-mail address then? I do want to be contacted by potential customers.
    3. Maybe I'll cut down on the fonts (not really a question.)
    4. On the "Clearwater Custom Web Design" perhaps I will just change the words so that you are supposed to read down and across! Brilliant!
    5. Most importantly, what do you mean by "a form for your contact page". Do you mean to put the data into a form?
    Thanks again for the feedback!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    There are a few coding errors that my html tidy is throwing up that you might want to look at - line 34, an end tag for a div that was never open. Also it reckons that "style" and "link" aren't allowed where they are according to your doctype.
    Pass it through the validator at wc3.

Have you changed this site in the last couple of days from the blue one? It looks a bit better. I think centering the whole design might be an idea. Also the white column that the nav is in should extend down to the bottom of the page. At the moment it seems to fall a couple of inches short.
    Just a couple of thought there.
    Cool, I didn't even know that there were validators available!
    Yes, I just redid it last night. You really sobered me up with the critique you did yesterday But I definitely appreciate all of the criticism I can get.
    And I agree that centering would be a good idea.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cssgeek
    You really sobered me up with the critique you did yesterday
    Ooooops, not too harsh I hope! There wasn't anything that wouldn't be pretty easy and straghtfoward to fix up a bit.

Member #
    Hi CSSGeek,

I'm finding everything sits a bit to low on my screen, and I'm thinking it'd look a lot better if it were tightened up higher. Also, I'm seeing your company name put on top of your menu choices, which is a bit distracting. I'd position the linktext div absolutely and push it down a bit, then push up the main div.

You also need to put a # in front of your color designations on the style sheet. My browser is killing me with parse errors.

Overall, I like where the site is headed, but I think it could use some polishing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

K.

Member #
    DC covered pretty much all the standard stuff.
    Two other things I would try and fix:

1) When you click on the sites in your portfolio, they navigate away from your own site. You should have them open up a new window so that potential clients stay on your site in some capacity.
    This is especially important if they wind up going through a lot of clicks on the site you built
    2) Not sure what the issue is with this one, but when clicking on the "Scissor Sisters" site, the link at the bottom of their site shows "sitebuilder.com" or something to that effect. If they have changed over from you, you may want to have some info in your portfolio that you did the intial design or what have you.......plus, don't actively link it from your portfolio.

Good luck....
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    Ooooops, not too harsh I hope! There wasn't anything that wouldn't be pretty easy and straghtfoward to fix up a bit.
    Ha ha, like I said, I really appreciate your criticism! If it wasn't for you I would have never known about the validators! And my site would still be that awful blue one

I ran all of the pages through the validator and fixed everything so it should look alot better now.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kalchas
    Hi CSSGeek,

I'm finding everything sits a bit to low on my screen, and I'm thinking it'd look a lot better if it were tightened up higher. Also, I'm seeing your company name put on top of your menu choices, which is a bit distracting. I'd position the linktext div absolutely and push it down a bit, then push up the main div.

You also need to put a # in front of your color designations on the style sheet. My browser is killing me with parse errors.

Overall, I like where the site is headed, but I think it could use some polishing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

K.
    Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I moved the main div higher as you suggested and ran all of my pages through the w3c validator so the colors should work now.

...I'm thinking about taking my distracting company name down...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads