Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've come across certain pages with links to images that can only be viewed when you click on the thumbnail from that exact page. In other words, you can copy that exact same link to the .JPG off the thumbnail or you can copy the link from the address bar after the image comes up, but when you put that link in a new instance of the browser, it ends up redirecting you away from the .JPG and off to another page.

Here's an example and please don't click if you're under 18:

http://www.montrealchicks.com/030524/index8.html

I do apologize for the adult nature of the example given, but I'm very curious, how do they make it so the link to the image only works off that one page?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    One way to do this is through your.htaccess file.You can restrict what domains can link to certain file types. For example, you can say "only mywebsite.com can pull up .gif, .jpg, and .mp3 files".

Here's a page that goes a little deeper into hotlink protection.

Member #
    I'm going to have to check my email address listed because I have email notification on and yet never found out that there was an answer til just now. Anyway - I think it's pretty rude not to thank someone who takes the time so I'll say it now - thanks for the reply, spluf!
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    No prob man. Let me know if you need any help on the email issue.

Member #
    Okay, I just received that reply, thanks. I checked the email address and it was entered correctly. I'm using yahoo as a web host and I get enough email that I'd usually find out when my email had gone down in the past but it hasn't happened for a while . . . strange.

Let me ask this, I always get the feeling that using yahoo as a web host is probably looked upon by the web design vets the same way long time Internet devotes look upon people with AOL addresses, any truth to that?
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Yahoo as a web host or as an email provider? They are offering webhosting now, although I haven't heard much about it.

As an email provider, most ppl have a yahoo or hotmail or some type of free account. I have one, to keep my personal email address clean from spam. I use my yahoo account often, but anything that's important I send using an email account from my domain name.

Member #
    I'm using them as a web host with the email from my domain. They used to have some very occasional outages, but I think a few months back they must have invested (Lord knows they have the funds) in more servers.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    If you've had a good experience with them (or bad), you can start a thread in the forum Picking a Hosting Company that we have on WDF, on Yahoo's Hosting services.. As long as it's truthful, you can tell us anything you want, good or bad (just in good taste).

Member #
    I didn't notice that forum. I've always felt totally ignorant about who's out there and whether I can afford to switch when I see a deal just to save a couple of bucks.

Nice, I think I'll have to check that forum out.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I've always wondered how they do that, thanks!

BTW, gotta love that link!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads