Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Here is my current site. Keep in mind, the weather widget I just added and was playing around with it:
    www.saiawebdesign.com
    Here are the many templates I have come up with.
    http://www.saiawebdesign.com/sites/
    Any suggestions? Which one should I go with if any? It is hard to design a site for web design, especially since I am a freelancer because the theme is just kind of vague to me.

Member #
    The real problem here is there is a limit to the good-looking but pointless layout. In other words, there's no actual theme.

A "theme" would be writing an article like 7 Debilitating Diseases of Business Websites (and their cures) and then having that content on a design site that looks like Epidemic Design. And to top it off learn a little about viral marketing.

A theme is where you take each of the 7 diseases and create an immunization, and then show that visually.

Contrary to popular opinion what I just outlined is branding. Nothing else.

You do not take absolutely generic boilerplate drivel, then drop that into nice looking but pointless generically nice-looking layouts.

Member #
    I have content, some not even on my original site. I just wanted an opinion on the layout and color schemes I picked in each one. I am not going to make them into actual sites until I know which one I am going to use otherwise, it would be a big waste of time for me to turn them into sites.

Member #
    My point is you don't just "have content" and expect to have a theme.

Let's take an example. A web designer has a stock photograph of a tree on a grassy plain. Pretty but pointless. ...not a theme.

However, if the text then talks about how business websites have to grow, you can then reference the "tree" idea in text. That's a theme, because you're using the tree as a metaphor or figure of speech. Text and graphics actually connect.

Then you point out the reason you base your websites on, for instance, Drupal. You would say that trees are built to mature, and as your business matures Drupal grows with you. So you don't have to learn Wordpress and when you grow out of it Joomla, only to grow out of that eventually.

So your choice of the stock photograph of a tree is done for a reason which directly reflects on your philosophy of doing business. That's a theme.

In contrast, almost all web design is about generic stock photography that has absolutely no reason for being on the same page as the text. Sure the stock photography looks nice. And the stock photograph doesn't exactly "not" go with the text.

It's the web developers idea of separating style from structure done to an absurdist extreme. Now you can literally replace web designers with a random site generation script. All you need do is insure the color of the layout and stock photograph matches, drop in vague text which could apply to any business, and the web designer is 100% disposable.

Member #
    I understand the content matching the pictures and color stuff. I never had to worry about the situation I`m in, that is my dismay. I have done a website for a restaurant, a traditional Irish restaurant they had tons of professional photos taken of their food, so that was easy to work with. Also, the owner knew the style layout he wanted and the colors, so it was real easy. I did one for a boat retailer, that was easy too, again, photos of boats and they wanted an animated fisherman on the homepage that they wanted me to pull from a template they saw. Mechanics shop, you see a guy under the hood of the car, maybe a car on a lift, it gets the point across.

What should a freelance web designer have? I don't want to have a picture of myself working on a website, because I don't want pics of myself on my site (I know one guy in the area that does that and he isn't too pleasant looking, haha). I get that the content should match the photos if any are used. I have plenty for the fish one that I have in the above gallery, especially since I live near a popular bay (chesapeake bay in MD).

I just want to know which one has the most appealing color scheme, shapes and layout? If you were looking at a bunch of random sites, which one would stand out to you the most? Most people will leave a page if the color and feel of the website isn't appealing to them, despite what your content has to say.

Member #
    If you were looking at a bunch of random sites, which one would stand out to you the most?
    If I were looking at a bunch of random sites, none of these layouts stand out. And for exactly the reasons I just described. Even aside from all of what I said, the site doesn't doesn come up to the standard of other basically good looking sites -- namely the typography, logo design, and the overall finished look.

My basic arguement is ten or twenty of fifty random sites, none stand out. That's a testable proposition more people should actually sit down and test.

Member #
    Let me rephrase again. Does anybody at all!!!!! Know what I am saying? Which one of sites I have snapshots of stand out amongst the other ones I have posted? Most appealing? Even if you think they are all crappy, which one is the least crappy???

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SWDesigns
    Let me rephrase again. Does anybody at all!!!!! Know what I am saying? Which one of sites I have snapshots of stand out amongst the other ones I have posted? Most appealing? Even if you think they are all crappy, which one is the least crappy???
    Number 2 for me has the most potential by far. However the design is far from perfect.

I assume that the black border has nothing to do with the site. The navigation and header should be the same width. The navigation links should be centered vertically. I'm pretty sure you have a 1px stroke on your containers, this color needs to be toned down a little as its too dark.

I would suggest bringing this down to 2 columns. On the left I would have sub-navigation (where applicable) and the 'works' part below the sub-nav. I would remove latest project as this would dynamically appear in the 'works' section anyway. If this was my site I would ditch the external links altogether as I want to sell my services, not give potential clients an easy way to leave my site.

Thats my opinion. Good luck with whatever design you choose.

Member #
    Thank you for your reply! Yeah, that extra black border on those snapshots are just there to outline the site, that wouldn't be there on the final design. Thank you for the suggestions, I will keep that in mind!
    I`m just too picky, I came up with another design that looks completely different from the rest of them, haha! I might post it up. It has blue, yellow, gray gradients and white.

Remove Ads