Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,

just finishing off a new site and would welcome any feedback.

Emilie Taylor Ceramics

what do you think of having no text on the home page? I realise its bad for SEO and people have pulled me up on it before but my client realy likes the look of it without any text. Also some of the pages are a little sparse, this is so she can add in extra work as she does it.

does anyone think theres too much white space?

cheers,

Member #
    I like it.

It is pretty spacious but it doesnt seem to bother me, having no text on the main page is bad practice, but if you have informed your client of the cons of doing so and they still want it without text then so be it.

Member #
    I think the site is beautiful. It has a very defined, clean feel. White space can be correctly used, and this a good example of how. Other than the text on the front page issue, I would recommend some kind of label, other than the mouse overs, on the exhibition/press page. Right now you've just got the picture on the left, which is fine with one article, but what will happen when there is a hundred?

Member #
    I think clean, simple designs work best for artists' sites because they allow the work to shine, and they don't create distractions for the viewer. I've seen a number of artists' sites where the web design is just amazing, but it seems to showcase the designer's work more than that of the artist.

I do have a couple of comments. The color of your nav links in the active state, as well as the sub-heading, doesn't provide sufficient contrast. You may already know about this, but you can analyze color contrast using different tools and websites. Here is one: http://juicystudio.com/services/colourcontrast.php

On the ceramics page, the thumbnails are too close to the text and actually obscure the bottom part of the last line of text.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thanks for the feedback,

The link to the contrast analyser is usefull. The text goes behind the thumbs in FF when the text size is increased. (this is always a problem I run into) Iv considered having the containing div expand vertically with the text but then the thumbs wouldnt line up with the big picture. Iv also considered setting the overflow to auto so that a scroll bar would appear when nescessary. What would everyone suggest, I guess I have to do something because its important to see the text.

Member #
    Why not put the thumbnails to the right of the large image? It seems to be a better solution than scrolling or making it so that the text forces the thumbnails down the page.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thats definately an option but Im tring to avoid having any horizontal scroll bars on small monitors

Member #
    You have enough space on the right to stack them two across and not exceed the length of your footer. Even three across would not create problems for most viewers.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah your right,

Im not quite with it today, was thinking about the old design. We initially had two large pictures filling the space which looked realy nice but made the navigation quite strange.

I'l run it past the client and see what she thinks.

Member #
    I made a mistake in an earlier post. I said the nav text in the active state was too light, but I should have said in the link state. I get some of these terms confused.

Medlington, I hope the client will go for having the thumbnails on the right side.

Remove Ads