Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I want some feedback on my first real site I created. Here is my salon site

Los Angeles, California, United States of America
    Member #
    Ok... the site needs... some work.
    -.-
    I don't mean to be mean but... here goes.
    Ok well I mean yeah it's a site... with a flash header... and a bunch of buttons, text, and pictures. That's nice and all. But it could be helped in a few ways. When you use gradients... do you use them just because the option is available? Can you give a good reason why some of your gradients are darker at the top and others are darker at the bottom? Or why your text boxes have gradients that go from light to dark in the middle to light at the bottom? I can't give you a good reason. They honestly don't make the site look any better, and the lack of consistency makes it look like you just threw them in there as an afterthought because you thought the site lacked enough visual change throughout the site. If that is the case then you need to go back in time and remember what you were thinking the art direction of the finished product was going to be when you started. Were you thinking, "Geez they want an edgy website for their edgy and hip hairstyling," or something more along the lines of, "Should I add this because I there's too much whitespace or the buttons are too plain,"
    What I think you need to do in the future (if your budget or time constraints for this project are already over, if not then maybe you can fix it for them) is to really ask your client hard questions on what they want the site to emphasize when people visit it. A website is a tool of commerce for a small business such as a hair salon. It should be an extension of their company image, not a separate entity. The style of their salon (edgy, trendy, hip, elegant, whatever) should be reflected in the product you deliver to them. It is their face to everyone in the virtual world, and prospective clients are nowadays expecting sites that are visually appealing and functionally clean.
    They want something that is immediately recognizable by visitors as something that shares an interchangeable aesthetic and useability with the physical location, so that when a client goes to the site they get a true feel for what the salon might be like.
    I digress... if the client is happy then it's none of my business to come down so harsh on you or judge your work in the way I am doing. I'm just saying that if you're a designer looking to go that extra step for your client then I have a lot more ideas for the site than just the gradients. The grays are a very drab color scheme for any sort of salon, the red doesn't fit at all, the spinning circle vortex thing in the banner is extremely dizzying (maybe slow it down a bit), the fonts for the buttons don't fit at all, the fonts are too large for the buttons or vice versa (the buttons are too small for the buttons, they shouldn't be flush like that), the font for the body text doesn't go with the button text (you have a "unique" italicized font for the buttons, but you have a standard serif font for the text), and (i know you meant this for 1024*768 users but...) the site is too wide (important body content and buttons have to be scrolled for by users on 800*600 users).

I know I'm just listing a lot of personal complaints and stuff right now but I'm just trying to put myself into the shoes of a potential client of this full-service salon and right now the site just isn't doing enough to draw me into the neighborhood. I have a lot of suggestions for changes... don't know if you're willing to change anything though just based off of the whims of a random guy on a web design forum, but I have them and I'm willing to help you out with this first paid job of yours (Trust me I know how important the first client is to any freelancer or businessman and I've been there before... it's tough trying to please the client, your own personal standards you've set, and trying to sort out personal life as well)

Well I hope I didn't come off as too cocky or whatever for you to respond... I'd love to help out or whatever if you're up to any other advice. Have a good one.

Member #
    Have to agree. There is a lot more you can list. In firefox the site looks like a disassembled jigsaw puzzle -- unusable.

Switching over to Internet Explorer turned up this gem of copywriting, "We have the last nail tech you will ever want to see." Eliminate the sentence. It can be interpreted to mean the exact opposite of what you want to say. The very next sentence says what you mean to say better.

Next, show picture of Makeup, Hair, Nails. Before and after. Show customers. Add testimonials from customers. Saying something means nothing in a business which is denominated in visual results. Telling your story is far less compelling than having customers tell it.

Overall composition, layout, web coding and bizarre special effects combine for a poor website.

Member #
    The site is unusable in firefox because you have javascript disabled and I loaded stylesheets based on what browser was used. The color was also not my fault it was the colors there logo was done in and the pretty much what they wanted for the site as well. As well as the text, I plan on convincing them it needs to be changed but haven't got around to it yet. Thanx for the suggestions on the graidients, I need to do something with them. DC856 what is wrong with my coding please explain. It's valid html/css with the exception of the entities that I haven't replaced on a few pages. Also the flash comes up invalid although I refuse to change that because I hate the activate ie thing and the only way the fix will work is by using this invalid code & some javascript. Any suggestions on what I could do with the font of the pages to better reflect them to the links. I really suck at css with fonts so let me know if you have any suggestions there. Luckly I slapped the layout into a php template for all the pages so changes are quick and easy, even though it isn't apparent because I changed the hta acess file so php works with the .html extension.

I currently am working on a php script to add comments. Basically vistors will leave a comment via a simple form. The request will be denied or approved by the client via a login script/control panel. A few of the newest comments will be placed on the front page to add some content. Then a link will be placed for add comment, view all comments. Is this a good idea do you guys think?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeverd01
    DC856 what is wrong with my coding please explain. It's valid html/css with the exception of the entities that I haven't replaced on a few pages.
    The opening page, for example, has at least 15 errors on it - mostly invalid attributes. Pass it through the w3 validator.
    Try using swfobject for your flash films.

Member #
    Do you have a link to some javascript that removes the annoying ie click to activate that works this way?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeverd01
    Do you have a link to some javascript that removes the annoying ie click to activate that works this way?
    I think swfobject sorts that out, although I can't be entirely certain (50/50) . Look up swfobject on google.

Member #
    Thanx took care of that real quick on the testing server just need to upload it now! Valid code once again, it's a relief I was really bummed about the code not validating, although I wasn't about to sacrific usability for valid code. This really helps!

Member #
    Make you flash header stop after 1 play!

As for the design, it has potential however I think you have used really bad shades of grey.

For some reason the header text only becomes crisp when I click on it.

Your contact form is ugly.

What I suggest.. change the black to grey gradient to perhaps dark grey to a warm grey. Remove black and red lines. Put in some serious time into improving the sub navigation. Improve the contact page.

Do this and I think you will be getting some where.

Member #
    OK, here goes.

The Look.

The site is needlessly busy. It all seems bunched together. The flash header is totally pointless. Flash, unless done exceptionally well, is unsightly and is almost always unnecessary. Just use a nice graphic as your header and it will look a lot more professional. It's almost all images, this is extremely bad for accessibility and even worse for SEO. Use text for text unless you absolutely have to and when you do use an image, make sure you give it alt and title attributes so Search engines still know what it is.

For a Salon I think black and red are the wrong colours, although I can tell from the images that it is a slightly alternative establishment so you might get away with it.

Keep it simple, make it less busy.

Code

Personally I was scared to even view the source because I knew it was going to be bad. I wasn't surprised. What did surprise me is that it actually passed Validation! This is about the only good thing the site has going for it at the moment. What surprised me more is that you're only 4 errors away from validating as strict!

There are problems though. Your markup is full of scripts. Styles and scripts should be kept in seperate files. But to be honest, this type od site should use no javascript at all.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads