Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Been a while since we posted anything new. Here's a new app we're building. The site has a Flash presentation on the homepage. I tried something new by making the "static" areas below the animation part of the Flash and integrating them with the presentation. What do you guys think?

Member #
    Heh, pretty unique!

I watched the flash movie, I was intrigued when apparently static elements started becoming a part of the movie!

One thing though, the contact info and the map is of miami area, and on the order page the bags are advertised like "10 pound bags". For a while I thought you meant 10GBP but I presume the bags can contain 10 pounds of washing?

And, once logged in, the logout link looks lonely up at the top.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, they hold 10 pounds of laundry.

Member #
    ohh i like the way the cursor thingy moves!

Member #
    The Flash explained the service you're offering. ...Are you're sure you're allowed to deviate from pointless effects which have no possible connection to site objectives?!

Has no one told you the reason it's called Flash and not Substance?

Seriously though, this is an example to study. It argues for Flash as telling your visual story rather than just an excuse to pump up client billable.

Other elements are pretty good, like having only three steps. I just checked out a site with a dozen steps to start (with a paragraph for each step). Daunting.

While this "Flash is for supporting the site's objectives" is a little disorienting, that's in a good way. The site gets to the point rather quickly by explaining the service. What could have been a splash page is instead integrated into the layout. Effects like blur are used well to simulate depth of field to direct the viewer's focus. While this is like a century old in movie making, it's practical rocket science for web animation to even acknowledge there is a user/viewer.

And finally, rather than put it on a "look how clever I am" loop, it's a play-once, default to an unobtrusive tagline header. This shows uncommon sympathy for the returning user, who one supposes to be a regular customer and your bread-and-butter focus.

Rather good work on both design and communication. Commendable work. If more people learned your way of using Flash, then maybe we could get that 99% figure down to, say, a Sturgeon's Law respectable 90%.

Remove Ads