Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Sipher Design

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://www.sipherdesign.com

My website/blog rate it please.

Member #
    well, from a design point of view you'll probably need to liven up the nav and add some more interesting graphics etc.

also, when i viewed this site in IE7 it completely clapped out.

why doesn't it give any information about you? the only hint we get (that i could find) was "
    This is Lal and greetings to you all.
    If you guys don't know me already, you should know that I am a graphic designer,web developer and a SEO expert. Unlike most "web designers", I can do both graphic design work and frontend and backend programming and promote your website.
    If you want proof of what I know, I can show you my debt, debt from taking all those students loans to learn what I know or I can show you those silly papers they hand out after you finish school or feel free to take a loot at my portfolio or contact me with any question or comment you have about me or the services I offer."

but it doesn't really offer and info. also the final paragraph sounds kind of aggressive, like you're challenging people to ask for proof.

Los Angeles, California, United States of America
    Member #
    Your website has a fairly boring and simple 4-color palette involving black, red, white, and an off-gray. That wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if it weren't for the fact that it's just that. 4 colors. Over and over. When you rollover a button it just turns into more red. Red is a color that attracts the eye, and it's fine if you want someone to notice something. You obviously want people to click the buttons and see the numbers highlighted by red... but there's just a lot of it, probably more so than you really need. Maybe red highlights or accents or underlines would be better for your buttons than solid red. Maybe a deeper tone would be better. I don't know if your target audience is people who love ketchup that's spread thin on a sheet of glass and has a 10000 watt light shone through it or what, but it just doesn't do it for me.Your buttons don't work properly. The 5 pixel or so area underlining all your buttons is unclickable but activates the rollover state of your buttons, and leads to a seizure-inducing red and white flipping fest if the cursor is left there.

Under services->blog there is no content on that page. I think you accidentally left the finished page out.

Don't know what the acronym is over in canada but I found it funny that greater toronto area is the same acronym as grand theft auto.

Sorry about the red-hating but it's just an annoying bright shade that you've chosen. Maybe all your friends like red that bright but trust me... most people aren't able to look at it for that long of a time before their eyes start to hurt. Since your site is rather straightforward and I can't really comment on much else, stop reading this post because it's about to turn into a rant on what you've posted on your blog, to be very honest. It's a generally well-put together and thought-out website, however, and the information I would generally want to find if I was in the market was easily accessible.

This is just an aside because I've had it with some of the ridiculous stuff I've seen in this forum regarding similar trains of thought and/or attitudes towards what the industry of certain people.
    Ok... so you claim to be in the industry for 7 years. That means that you have been doing this dealio dating back to at least 2000. It's odd to me that you would claim that other people are charging too much for their service. What proof do you have? Do you know of all the elements involved in their production pipeline? Are you sitting with them when they are going through the mockup process down to focus groups and then reworking and tailoring the concepts to hit their target audience in exactly the right way? Do you know what results or profits the companies who used those "overpriced" firms got out of the deals? Don't put that sort of thing in a blog on your website when you're trying to solicit business. That sort of ranting about stuff belongs on a personal blog, at best. Sure, I get that you're trying to say that your services are dirt cheap... but to be honest at the prices you're running at for a decent website (I mean something that takes time and effort, not some template you have laying around that you add a 2 second banner job to) you wouldn't be able to pay for rent for an office or suite anywhere in America, not to mention being able to pay for food or even the utilities for the office.

Ok enough with the ranting about people on this forum complaining about other firms charging too much. It's honestly ridiculous that people don't realize that good stuff costs good money, especially from people that are self-designated "design professionals" or "web design gurus" and stuff like that. Food costs money. Rent costs money. Saving for retirement costs money. Insurance costs money. Legal expenses cost money. Families cost money. New software costs money. Sorry but we can't all be students or students right out of college who get income from our parents so we don't really have to worry about being able to pay rent or pay expenses so in our free time we put our degrees we got from a college they advertise on tv at 3 am in the morning to good use by "designing" websites that are actually the standard php forum skin or blogger skin disguised as something else, regurgitated and slopped over to the unsuspecting client who didn't even expect much of anything in the first place because they were paying so little they could care less about it. You don't get ahead in the industry by dissing everyone else that's already established. That's just a fast way to make yourself look bad and tarnish your reputation. Anyways, I didn't mean to turn this post into a personal attack on you. It's just it's rather agitating to see the lack of understanding of why some people's prices are higher than others' is so prevalent, even with those who supposedly work within this industry. Anyways, have a great day.

Member #
    but it doesn't really offer and info. also the final paragraph sounds kind of aggressive, like you're challenging people to ask for proof.
    This is a personal site of mine and you know... going into debt paying for school still gets to me ... gona take me few more years before I can be debt free from all the money I borrowed to get my education... I am sure lots of you can understand that.

I am still working on that IE7 bug, I just fixed together this blog few days ago so still fine tuning it. I still have to update my portfolio, programming works are still not there etc...

Don't know what the acronym is over in canada but I found it funny that greater toronto area is the same acronym as grand theft auto.
    Yes... vast majority of my clients are from the GTA... so they know what I am talking about or should.

What proof do you have?
    That 7 years of working in the industry. I am getting tired of cleaning up these messes created by ahole agencies and firms who overcharge and then abandon these people.

Do you know of all the elements involved in their production pipeline?
    Are you trying to sound smart or just being an ignoramous?

Are you sitting with them when they are going through the mockup process down to focus groups and then reworking and tailoring the concepts to hit their target audience in exactly the right way?
    My clients are small to medium business owners... my job is to design a website for them and maket it so they get referels via the website. Very simple concept.

Focus group... sigh... only time I ever did that was when I worked for bigger corporations and big business'. If you are doing this for a small business...

Do you know what results or profits the companies who used those "overpriced" firms got out of the deals?
    Yes, they came back to me to redo the website and to market it... AGAIN. I have to clean up the mess created by these overpriced aholes and this creates a mistrust between me and the client because they have this feeling in the back of their mind that I am also like the aholes they delt with.

Don't put that sort of thing in a blog on your website when you're trying to solicit business.
    Why? I know most can't do business while being honest, but it works for me.

That sort of ranting about stuff belongs on a personal blog, at best. Sure, I get that you're trying to say that your services are dirt cheap...
    I charge people 30+ / hour... that ain't cheap... you must live in a fantasy world if you think it is.

Ohh and this is my personal webiste.... only reason I put up this website was so I can bitch and maybe attract more business. Almost 90% of my business is based on referals. I do good work, I get more jobs...very simple concept.

but to be honest at the prices you're running at for a decent website (I mean something that takes time and effort, not some template you have laying around that you add a 2 second banner job to) you wouldn't be able to pay for rent for an office or suite anywhere in America, not to mention being able to pay for food or even the utilities for the office.
    I am freelancer... I don't need an office, I use my basement as one... I make enough to pay my mortgage/bills and feed my family.

I didn't mean to turn this post into a personal attack on you. It's just it's rather agitating to see the lack of understanding of why some people's prices are higher than others' is so prevalent, even with those who supposedly work within this industry. Anyways, have a great day.
    But it is a personal attack... usually forums have rules against personal attack no? Lack of understanding on my part or lack of knowledge on your part?

Los Angeles, California, United States of America
    Member #
    Ok, so you replied to all the parts of my post that I basically said you could ignore because it was a rant on the people in this forum I've seen who have at least partly displayed a lack of knowledge of where certain firms get their pricing structures from. It's unfortunate that a lot of your clientelle are people who have been shafted by firms that command higher rates than yourself while at the same time giving finished products that are **** on arrival. In a more perfect world design businesses would all be focused on creating lasting mutually beneficial relationships where we would try to help grow each other's business. But everyone isn't like us, and the fact of the matter is that I do realize that some businesses would rather design a piece of crap and run with the money than actually design something that's useful to the client, and then fail to even explain or guide them through their inroads onto the internet front. I'm just saying that everyone has a price for a reason, whether it be to rob their clients blind, or actually pay bills and make a living... but usually in a professional website such discussions are left out. Of course it's good to say, "hey I care about your business and how it prospers, and I can do so for cheaper than those other people," but to me... like the other poster said the paragraphs you see on your main page just seem too confrontational to me. If that's fine with you since all of your business already knows you, then that's fine, but you always should consider the people that you might be scaring off with an all-too upfront tone like that. (Although some people do like honesty. A lot of people do. Actually most.)
    Alright. Sorry you took it as a personal attack. Have a good one.

Remove Ads