Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone, after a server crash and not having backed up any of my files, I have had to rebuild my site from scratch. It's been awhile since I've done this so am feeling a bit hazy. I've got a blog with Wordpress and after hearing about successes of friends who use Adsense I thought I'd have a go at using Adsense myself. I have a feeling though that the layout of my site may be a bit cluttered. Was hoping for feedback from anyone about suggestions of how I could improve it. Thanks in advance, Ainslee

Member #
    Nice and clean! I don't think it looks particularly cluttered. But a contrasting background color/texture for the header background might work to visually simplify the page (and add personality), making the separation of navigation and content very obvious.

One way that could look is to use that blue for the header background, maybe with an oversized faint "sun" symbol as a watermark, with the title and navigation in white text on top of it.

Alternately, a contrasting background stripe behind the top "Ads by Google" might accomplish the same thing.

A minor thing is that with its positioning between ads, the "Recent Comments" could look like an ad itself at first glance and get lost.

Overall your site is easy to navigate, looks modern, and loads quickly. Nice job!

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback The header is one file on it's own (using wordpress, so am getting used to the mechanics of it all). Would it just be a matter of dividing up the header into parts so that I can apply CSS to the section that has the links for ads and the section above it? Thanks again. I think if I do that it will definitely improve the look.

Member #
    Hi, i've added a bit of CSS to the site, and I think i'm happy with the colors. I've added backgrounds to the google ads as well as the header. Hoping someone who has more of a keen eye for colors can have a look for me. Cheers, Ainslee

Member #
    I love everything but the title font - its too plain
    the layout is excellent

Member #
    HI Vexcom, would you suggest something more like changing ainsleehooper.blog to an image, and editing the font that way? or just doing something with it with css?

Member #
    You could choose a font with CSS, but it would have to be a font common to most all computers. Here is a list of such fonts.

If you want to use a different font, an image would be the most straightforward approach for choosing any font on your computer.

One other alternative approach is sIFR, a method that uses Flash and Javascript to embed a font on the page, and unlike images, allows your page title to remain selectable text. At first I was skeptical, but it degenerates gracefully and has good accessibility, so my colleague and I ended up using it on the Batzner Pest Management site last year. I'm still not convinced it's always superior to using an image, but I just thought I'd point out all your options!

Member #
    Hi, i've edited the header font, but i'm still unsure of it. As Vexcomm said, it looks too plain. Looking at the documentation you posted A. Franklin, I don't want to go for something that others won't have on their computers. What's the best way to go? I don't want to choose a font that is also going to be to hard to read. Very confused as to what to do

Member #
    Personally, I'd go with an image. That way you can use any font you like, and apply some effects to make it visually interesting. You might start with finding some logos you like, and emulating what you like about them. Or browse some free font sites to find a font that appeals to you.

Attached is a quick example I did in Photoshop using the free font Baar Sophia with some Web 2.0-ish treatments applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Id reccomend adding a line on what your site is about so that new users know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads