Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flash Websites

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Just a question for the board.

What do you think about all flash websites? While looking for cool websites on the Internet I have noticed that obviously the coolest ones are done in flash. However I also noticed that all or most all of them are done entirely in flash. To be completely honest I have done 2 websites in entire flash myself. The reason that I choose to design these websites in all flash is because:

1. The first website was for a Hair Salon studio in my hometown. They wanted something very artistic. They didnít have very high expectations in the way of Internet traffic because they were realistic in the view that the internet would not be the primary source of advertising for a local company not selling anything from the site.

http://www.jgsalonsatwedgewood.com/

2. The second website was for a museum. They wanted something that really captured the feeling of early America. Almost an old west feel. They also needed something that would give them the ability to show some of the artifacts online and wanted a timeline.

http://www.edjeffersbarbermuseum.com/

My question is what do you guys think about the all-flash websites? Would you ever do one and why/why not? What are some of the Pro's and Con's?

Thanks
    cwilli

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    welcome to the board cwilli...

sites that use flash sure are some of the most impressive, but it is bad for search engines.

I would only do flash websites for personal sites or sites that don't need to be searched for on the net etc. The site also must be small and not needed to be updated regularly.

your sites are good, i like to see the women

just a note: you must include the copyright sign © for it to be valid i think
    JR

Member #
    Copyright sign? I dont know what you are talking about. I have never put a copywrite sign on any of my sites. Also I never put a link to my website from any of my sites. I think that it is tacky.

You are correct however about the search engines. There are ways around that though. In fact the salon site see's an average of 22 individual visits a day for a total average of about 700 per month. Individual visits, not hits. 90% of these are from the search engines.

Member #
    Flash sites are defintly the coolest ones around, when done correctly. I have seen some pretty crappy ones though, and it just made me leave the site right away. I can't stand bad flash.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by cwilli
    Copyright sign? I dont know what you are talking about. I have never put a copywrite sign on any of my sites.
    thats the point, you are meant to put the © for the copyright to be legal, at least i think so anyway
    JR

Member #
    Nice flash work! i like it, i have no real criticism for your site.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    I really don't get flash and how to use it. I've done some pretty good stuff using Swish - which is like a simple version.
    But the SWF files it creates are all big, so If I do anything complex - it takes ages to load

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Well....

I've only done one 100% flash site.... way back in 1999...

Transio Version 1

I have only used flash sparingly since then. I don't really see the need for an all flash site. ever.

Ironically, I had a meeting this morning with a potential client who was interested in a Flash site... simply because he liked the look and feel of Rolls Royce's website. I convinced him that all flash would be a mistake, because his executive clients would be frustrated if they didn't have flash installed, and would leave the site.

Member #
    While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree with you. Flash is the most downloaded plug-in in the history of IE. Besides the fact that it will automatically download if for some reason (like a fresh, brand new install of windows) you dont already have it. So I disagree that anyone would be frustrated and leave because they didnt have flash installed. You may have convinced your client that he should not go with flash but I would be willing to bet that he visits a flash website at some point and wishes that his website was more like it. JMHO.....

There are other reasons why not to go with an all flash site besides the plug-in issue. The Search Engine issue would be a better argument.

Member #
    Originally posted by jravenscroft
    thats the point, you are meant to put the © for the copyright to be legal, at least i think so anyway

you have a natural copyright on anything you make. you don't need a © symbol or ne thing to make it copyrighted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads