Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, I'm a new member to this community, but I would like to get some feedback on my site... it's not a new design as I am always improving it, but it would be invaluable for me to get some critique from the finest web designers here

My site is called Invisionsoft and on it you can download free software such as our DS Game Maker. The address is http://www.invisionsoft.co.uk

- James

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Welcome, James,

We're not mean here. We're constructive.

The best constructive feedback I can give you regarding the look of your site is that it's stuck in 1995.

By that, I mean that you're not using the latest tools (i.e. anything from this century) available to web designers, and as a result, your website has some flaws and quirks that make it immediately identifiable as a site of the mid-90s era.

Specifically:
    1. Tabular layout, and no use of CSS easily recognized. Check out www.csszengarden.com and www.cssremix.com to get some ideas of "Web 2.0" (CSS) design trends.

2. Liquid layout - Believe me, 10 years ago, I was a huge fan of liquid layouts. I know Nielsen still likes them, because they use all of the monitor's real-estate, but the problem is that they don't "feel" professional because they don't appear "formatted" (because they're not). A fixed-width layout allows you to arrange columns in your site that will look more like a magazine or newspaper - laid out with an intentional presentation, and thus more professional.

3. Huge banner-logo element. It's good to have a header that contains your logo, but the huge banner-logo centered on the top of the site is very out of date, primarily dumped because it is poor use of real-estate and puts too much weight on an irrelevant element. Shrink the logo, move it to the left, and put your google ads on the right of it in a 500x60 (or thereabouts) box, then encapsulate the whole header to separate it from the informative content.

4. No menu structure. The freefloating links don't stand out enough. Wrap them in a box that stands out from the rest of the site, and put that box below the header.

5. No defined footer.

Good luck! My suggestions to get you started are 1) look at the sites above to get some inspiration, and 2) learn div/css layout. Post any updates you make so we can see your progress! :thumbsup:

Member #
    I would address the basic layout of the copy. First, the text of Google ads look to be set in larger size -- making it look like that's the most important thing on the page.

Software, Web Design, PC Repair ...pick one. Design each page with a single objective.

There's no reason to get on a mailing list. Figure out and explain what's in it for the visitor to submit, for instance a newsletter, then ask for an address.

I see all these as symptoms. They can be masked but won't clear up before the underlying cause is dealt with. Simply put the site does not have clear objectives which drive design decisions -- there is no purpose for the site. "To have a site" is not a coherent purpose, it's an excuse. Consequently there isn't clear visual flow, products have space in the layout, but nothing compels the reader.

You can study any one of a hundred well-designed software sites actually designed for 1) A target user 2) Some site purpose

The site lacks a purpose. Copy, visual flow, and even navigation fail to help the site user because of this.

Related Reading:

Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason)
    Excuses for having a site drag down the design. A coherent purpose pulls together and directs design decisions. Most sites are excuse based rather than purpose directed.

Using Wireframe Prototypes to Improve Visual Flow and Web Page Layout
    Sites are designed around a cool stock photograh, a CSS gimmick, or anything but site users or company objectives. Wireframing a site forces focus off the gimmicks to weight individual site elements within the framework of the overall design.

Member #
    Wow, thanks for the responses...

Your posts have really waken me up to things I need to change, I didn't realise but when you say it like that it all makes sense. I will take your advice, and keep you updated.

- James :classic:

Banned
    Member #
    Hi there.
    I don`t want to be mean ... just help you out with some advices .
    1. Logo is too large make it smaller , maybe centered ?
    2. Try some smart google ads under the menu
    4. Hey ... can you afford a contact form ?
    5. Close the website and make it under construction ... have a beer and start making some changes

Banned
    Member #
    no more ideas ?

Remove Ads