Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Recently here in Puerto Rico there was a contest for a small group of students to make websites for some sort of competition. A female in my school was in this competition but she did not wish to accept any advice I could offer (even though I'd have to honestly say I'm not great, I would like to think I understand a bit more on Web Design then her). So she came out in third place in these competitions and apparently I was the only person to criticize her website, she said that a person who "really knows how to make a website" told her hers was great. So I come to you Web Design Forums.net for a request, I would like to ask that you judge both websites and tell me which one deserves first place and which one deserves last place. Just so my post won't be biased I will not say which one was made by the female in my school, I will just put up the two links:
    http://www.feriaartesaniabr.org/ <--- This is page 1.
    http://cabalgatareyesmagos.weebly.com/blog.html <--- This is page 2.
    A small detail is that they are in Spanish... But I believe you may judge them even under these circumstances.

If these are not the correct forums to post this then I am sorry and would like for it to be moved if possible. Thank you in advanced for anyone answering.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Although the first one has a more artistic appeal to it, in my opinion the code is a mess! Waaaayyyy too many images, which by the way, renders this site virtually unsearchable.

The second site seems to have much more of a "functionality" approach and at least uses some css, although the code to me is not very "clean". Don't take this the wrong way, but I don'tknow how some of the designers out there can even work on their sites with the code looking so crammed together and unorganized. If these designers ever build a site with more than 10 pages they are going to spend so much more time editing than is necessary just because they have to crawl through the code to do anything! Unless of course a wysiwyg is their only method.

Overall I would say the second site is a little better, and that is only because, to me, the code is a little better and not so many images. Although I would say you both need to get some bacic html and css knowledge, and that would improve your sites by about 50%.

If anybody thinks I am out of line, go ahead and let me have it!

Member #
    both sites are no good, thats all there is to it. Neither have visual appeal, neither have appropriate functionality. I'm not trying to be an *******, but you need to improve your web design skills. I'm not there yet either, but if you work hard enough you will be there.

Member #
    Maybe I wasn't clear? Neither of those websites are mine. I'm not great at web design, far from it, but I could probably do something much better.

I just wanted to give her proof that she didn't do a good job like she thought she did.
    Constructive criticism if you will.

Member #
    The first one is too old-looking. It's using the old graphics style of multiple embosses, drop shadows and everything, which makes it feel really 90s. Plus it has double splash pages (one is bad enough!). Then it uses text in an image form. This is particularly bad because it's not search-engine readable. The text is far too big and it's cluttered.

The second one is better, being somewhat more modern. It would be ok if the menu was made a bit clearer and into a straight line... And lighten up the mood with more colors and stuff.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    The first one is too old-looking. It's using the old graphics style of multiple embosses, drop shadows and everything, which makes it feel really 90s. Plus it has double splash pages (one is bad enough!). Then it uses text in an image form. This is particularly bad because it's not search-engine readable. The text is far too big and it's cluttered.

The second one is better, being somewhat more modern. It would be ok if the menu was made a bit clearer and into a straight line... And lighten up the mood with more colors and stuff.
    Ditto! (Well said Steax!)
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads