Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I offered to redesign our website from it's antiquated FrontPage template design. I'm not a professional, but I love learning new things so I figured why not.

Company & Personal Goals:
    1. Try to sell the company and employees, not the actual products
    2. "Do something cool with Flash or something." -boss
    3. Professional appearance
    4. Easy to update as time goes on

Long story short, we couldn't afford to budget for Flash software right now, and it really wasn't necessary to present our company. I hate flash anyway... My laptop had FrontPage on it but I felt very limited by it. I ended up learned CSS via Google and using FrontPage to sync my local and remote copies, as well for site-wide spell check and link verification.

I used the FrontPage form tool because I thought it would hide our general-info email address and obviously does not. I'd prefer not to use a form at all, but I'm trying to fight spam. We're hosting through our ISP (I think...) so I have very limited access for running scripts and such. Any suggestions on this?

What can I do to make it a better browsing experience? Easy navigation and quick load times are more important than bells and whistles. Thanks for the input.

Member #
    First and foremost, you need to listen to the client (your boss). If they want flash, then what does it matter that you don't like it?
    Did they hire you to do what you like or what they want?

Now, there could be a basis for not using flash for this site, depending upon functionality or some other issue.....but don't let something get in the way because YOU don't like it.

With that said, there is a lot you can do to update and improve the site. First, I would say make it a bit brighter and more professional in appearance.
    Next, look at making the site easier to nav. I think both of those would be a good start.

Maybe talk to your boss about two things. First, get some more input from your boss. I know you volunteered, but you should still treat it as any web professional and get more input to complete the project.
    Next, talk to him about getting Dreamweaver. I'm not going to bash FP (where would I start?), but this would be a good way for you to upgrade your editing program.

Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    I am agnostic on the tools. Flash is a tool -- it's how you use it that counts. You can do something pointless with the p-tag more easily.

The website is information poor, and doesn't help the user. There is no purpose for the site -- it doesn't sell anything ...not products ...not people. "DSG protects 1001 Congress Ave with an EST3 and Fireworks." Means not one thing to anyone outside the company.

I've actually seen business cards with more information.

Develop a site purpose. Right now they're all excuses to "do something cool with Flash." An excuse is not a purpose.

I would first suggest you read Good Designers Redesign, Great Designers Realign

There is no problem realigning the site along the lines of a Case History, focusing on key employee performance. What did you do, why, and what makes you different from the competition. Develop your Unique Selling Proposition based on employees and use projects to explain challenges you faced on each project.

Take a site selling custom speakers. "We take the dimensions and acoustic qualities of your room into account before designing your speakers. This way, you avoid the 'it didn't sound like this in the showroom' phenomenon that's so common. And we have 528 types of veneer and speaker grill to match any decor."

All the problems are due to one thing, Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason) You're running through excuses to do web stuff -- and reducing CSS and XHTML to the level of Flash in the process.

Develop a USP and figure out how to write a case history, dress it up with Flash or not.

Related:

How to find the "Selling Story" buried in your business Right now the site doesn't tell the user much of anything.

Remove Ads