Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Updated: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...leProgress.png

Is the image from Photoshop on my photobucket.

Its a class project for my graphic design course. It's my first assessed web-design so I want to try and make it a refined as possible. (especially seeing as my first design for this class wasn't up to my usual standards (see: http://hndgraphics.co.uk/andrew_talbot/ :ermm: )

Anyway, its essentially a re-design of The Magic Circle's website.

The brief was to design a site based on either science, gardening, magic, film festival or space. I decided to go a different direction and do a re-design of a pre-existing site.

Anyway any comments and constructive criticism that you can give me to improve my design in any way would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    I think there are too many dotted lines. Other than that, it looks truly magical.

I'm just worried that the actual content starts out too far down. Remember, when designing a site, you don't want to start designing the home page; instead, design the particle page - the real content pages. Also, a search form in the upper right would be effective too. The login form could be made smaller or placed elsewhere.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by steax
    I think there are too many dotted lines.
    Yes, I've had that advice from other people... I just don't want to make it solid lines because it'll break the page flow up a bit too much. If it were up to you, which ones would you knock out?

Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    I'm just worried that the actual content starts out too far down.
    I don't think it's that far from the top (it is right below the navigation) it might be because its on the right hand side of the screen though. On the main content pages it'll be a lot wider so it might feel closer to the top the top than it does now.

Remember, when designing a site, you don't want to start designing the home page; instead, design the particle page - the real content pages.
    I think that's really a personal choice.

Personally I feel the home page should be as breathtaking as possible, to get a user really engaged in the site, setting the tone for the rest of it, which is why I like to tackle it first with plenty of enthusiasm and momentum. Plus my clients always want to see the homepage designs first, its just easier.

Also, a search form in the upper right would be effective too. The login form could be made smaller or placed elsewhere.
    I actually have the search in one of the two areas to the right of the welcome box (which I've now put in there and I'll upload straight after this post), along with a newsletter address submission box.

Fair enough though, I could always switch the login box with the search box.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Updated design: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...leProgress.png

Member #
    you should read up some stuff on grid based design. smash magazine did a nice little piece on it. You have some aspects of a grid based design but I think it has too much stuff that goes out of the norm.

Remove Ads