Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Casualii is a project I've been working on for a few weeks, but I'm an engineer, not a designer. I'd really appreciate any tips you could offer to help me make the site look better.

I had some specific questions...
    • Do you like any of the five color schemes? (click on the "click me" buttons in the top right to switch)
    • Does the radial menu make sense?
    • Is the custom scroll bar on the right side of the homepage usable? Does it add any value?
    • Is there a better way to handle multi-level menus? (e.g., the "What's Hot" page)
    ... but of course I welcome any criticism.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, I'll put my 2 cents in. First off, I think The text area on the home page is too wide. I would narrow that down and maybe make the game screen shots you have on the right go down the page in pairs with a small decription of the game underneath them. Most people don't like a big block of text at the top of the home page, especially when you are pushing games. Also make the screen shots the same size as it will add symmetry to your layout.

Get yourself a slogan. I see you have a couple but make it short and sweet, yet descriptive.

I kinda like the navigation underneath the main nav. If you could put a little spade between them, it would help.

As far as the color schemes, well if I had to pick one, probably the dark maroon (or purple, whatever that color is!). I would lose the reflection off the logo though, that is getting soooo overdone by a lot of designers. That is just my opinion though.

The radial menu is a decent idea but it looks funny with the 3d look, especially next to a flat logo. The color will not go with any of your color schemes either. Where do you plan on putting it? It's kinda too big to put it next to your logo. I wouldn't put it up in that area anyway.

It looks like you have a lot of work into this and it looks like a good idea. I would seriously sit down with someone that has a good visual talent for your design colors and layout because it really needs some help.

Please don't take any of this as harsh criticism, I am really trying to help, believe it or not!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, I just found out what the radial button does. I didn't see that until I actually clicked a game! That's a neat idea. Although it may be more useful after a game is played. Good luck. I'm going to go try some games now!

Member #
    I appreciate the criticism. That's why I posted - to get ideas for improvement.

I wish I knew someone who had a good talent for visual web design, but as I said, I'm an engineer, and I mostly know other engineers. We're not famous for our sense of style. But I'll keep experimenting with the colors.

And I was thinking of sponsoring a contest on Worth 1000 to get a better logo. Using the radial menu as a logo is a stopgap, because my other attempts at a logo were even worse.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You don't even need anybody that's in the web design business get some visual advice, it could be a casual artist, or an interoir decorator, or even some one who dresses really nice! Seriously. Surely you must know someone out there that can help. As far as the logo, don't try and get too fancy and you could probably do it yourself. Less can be more. Look at some of the logos from some of the largest companies out there. Most of them are pretty straight forward with maybe the slightest graphical hint that reflects what they do. They are not all full of glow and shine and goofy fonts. Keep it simple.

Member #
    Well, even I can tell that it could look better; but there's a wide chasm between knowing that and having specific ideas to improve it.

I'll keep experimenting - and thanks for the advice about the logo.

Remove Ads