Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm posting all 4 of my current sites for review, please be honest and don't sugar coat things, I can hack it I promise! hahaha. Please post Ideas, CONSTRUCTIVE critisism and ya! enjoy!

This is a site I did for my brother in law's new used car dealership.

Member #
    The repeating page background is distracting and annoying.

The top page suffers from a lack of information. "Friendly car dealers" can't just put out the claim ...they have to prove. Testimonials would help. The problem is the top page is wasted as a splash page and needs to get to the point.

Ideally you want specials to be the top page, not a generic "welcome" page. Have you ever seen an "unwelcome" page? It's unnecessary -- assume the user wants to be there and "welcome" them by getting to the point. Specials serve especially well.

The thumbnail photos are too small -- even for thumbnails. Why have to click, and then click again for the largest view. Eliminate one click by putting a medium size view as the first view. Since most of the interface real estate is unused on the View Inventory page, this shouldn't be a problem.

The interface navigation lacks consistency. It's one place on the top splash page and another on pages like Specials and Inventory. Stick to a single, consistent, place for navigation. Clicking the "Home" link didn't seem to do anything on the Specials page, so you'll have to go and make sure the links actually work.

Viewing inventory means searching inventory, there's not difference in the typical user's mind. Don't enforce programming constraints on users.

Overall the site is clunky to use and dated in look. It needs to be rethought with a user task in mind. Copywriting and a Uniques Selling Proposition could help here.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    The repeating page background is distracting and annoying.

The top page suffers from a lack of information. "Friendly car dealers" can't just put out the claim ...they have to prove. Testimonials would help. The problem is the top page is wasted as a splash page and needs to get to the point.

Ideally you want specials to be the top page, not a generic "welcome" page. Have you ever seen an "unwelcome" page? It's unnecessary -- assume the user wants to be there and "welcome" them by getting to the point. Specials serve especially well.

The thumbnail photos are too small -- even for thumbnails. Why have to click, and then click again for the largest view. Eliminate one click by putting a medium size view as the first view. Since most of the interface real estate is unused on the View Inventory page, this shouldn't be a problem.

The interface navigation lacks consistency. It's one place on the top splash page and another on pages like Specials and Inventory. Stick to a single, consistent, place for navigation. Clicking the "Home" link didn't seem to do anything on the Specials page, so you'll have to go and make sure the links actually work.

Viewing inventory means searching inventory, there's not difference in the typical user's mind. Don't enforce programming constraints on users.

Overall the site is clunky to use and dated in look. It needs to be rethought with a user task in mind. Copywriting and a Uniques Selling Proposition could help here.
    I agree with you about the background I have been trying different things and do plan on changing it. I didn't even like it when I did it originally. As far as consistancy in design, it's difficult for me because I'm not in complete control of it all. Also my experience with forms and cgi and php is very limited. I merely linked to the autotrader stuff because it was already established and that's how they had been running the stuff before the site was done. The Home link is done by auto trader as well and I can't help it, trust me it drives me crazy. Thanks for your input, I have already been working on a new design and wanted to get some feedback on the original to see where I cold improve on the second.

Remove Ads