Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,

Just registered here because I wanted to see what some people, other than myself and friends, think of my website. I'm planning a redesign for this summer and want to see what a group unfamilar with my site think of it and from people who've designed many sites before what I should improve.
    Things I'm planning on changing in a new revision are possibly going from a three column layout, as it is now, to a two column layout and expanding the main content farther down the page. I'll also be removing the splash/loading page off of www.mavrev.com, which I've discluded from this post for review, and moving the main page at www.mavrev.com/index/ to simply www.mavrev.com. I also plan to add ads into the layout to start with rather than adding them after it has already been completed. Right now the site isn't fully W3C validated so that's something else I will be fixing.
    For those interested the site runs Drupal 5.x, which I also intend to upgrade this summer to the latest 6.0, with the Vertigo theme which is taken from Wordpress. I've since modified the theme for my own purposes.
    I appreciate all comments, both positive and negative, and thanks for you time.

-Matt

Member #
    Voting on new feature doesn't often tell you what people will use. It usually only tells you what feature idea people like.

The site is all gimicks, excuse me "modules," and no purpose. If you want a surprise, have a survey on what people think the purpose of the site is.

A blind redesign without purpose or objective is like trying to kiss someone in the dark. You know what you're doing but nobody else does. Aside from the obvious slap in the face, you might be unpleasantly surprised with the light finally comes on.

The survey module should need a license and the passing of a test before being turned on. It's about as misused and misleadingly skewed as the website hit counter.

The missing gimmick you haven't added yet is a purpose for the site. "To have a site" is not a purpose or objective -- it's an excuse. A visitor to your site should know what the purpose of the site is in five to ten seconds, flat. I still don't know what the site is about.

Related Reading:

Good Designers Redesign, Great Designers Realign

Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason)
    If you want to flail around blind, the piņata bat is the correct tool. Not the CMS.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    Voting on new feature doesn't often tell you what people will use. It usually only tells you what feature idea people like.
    That wasn't necessarily part of what I was asking opinions on, sorry for not mentioning that. That's a survey about a product and service we offer and is more content than related to the web design. I understand what you're saying though, that a survey isn't the best means to get an idea of what people will use however it's helpful in our team deciding what to do next.
    The site is all gimicks, excuse me "modules," and no purpose. If you want a surprise, have a survey on what people think the purpose of the site is.
    I don't quite get what you mean by gimmicks. Of course the site is modular, we add things as we go. There is a purpose, although it is not defined, which is to offer many free and cheap services and tools for users.
    A blind redesign without purpose or objective is like trying to kiss someone in the dark. You know what you're doing but nobody else does. Aside from the obvious slap in the face, you might be unpleasantly surprised with the light finally comes on.
    The reason for a site redesign, if any, would be to better present our content, the best choice I see is moving to a 2 column layout versus 3, and on a more technical backend side, we need to upgrade Drupal to the latest version anyways. While we do that it would not hurt to make revisions on the theme and layout. I do see what you mean however by planning a redesign without anything in mind is stupid.
    The survey module should need a license and the passing of a test before being turned on. It's about as misused and misleadingly skewed as the website hit counter.
    I don't understand what you mean by this at all. A license? Drupal is open source. I do understand that it is a skewed view of users opinions, not everyone necessarily voices their opinions through it, but it helps to get some idea from those who might actually care.
    The missing gimmick you haven't added yet is a purpose for the site. "To have a site" is not a purpose or objective -- it's an excuse. A visitor to your site should know what the purpose of the site is in five to ten seconds, flat. I still don't know what the site is about.
    Most simply put the website is a type of blog while also offering cheap services, free tools and more in the future. As I said we haven't clearly stated this because we don't think there is a need to. It's more or less a mish-mash of things we do.

Although you opinions were mostly negative, some of it helped and I appreciate that. However I don't think you understand what more personal and less businesslike sites are supposed to be. There doesn't have to be a clearly defined purpose.

-Matt

Member #
    This page makes more sense then your standard landing page - http://fileup.mavrev.com/

When this page laoded, I imediately understood what it was all about. One really needs to do a bit of reading before you know what the site is all about.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    This page makes more sense then your standard landing page - http://fileup.mavrev.com/

When this page laoded, I imediately understood what it was all about. One really needs to do a bit of reading before you know what the site is all about.

I'll take both or your opinions into account in making it easier to understand what Maverick Revolution offers. I will admit right now it's rather jumbled together.

Thanks for you comments,

-Matt

Remove Ads