Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello! I am looking for some friendly feedback about me website. I have had a lot of people already say many negative things about my new website so I am looking for anyone who has something nice to say about it. You can feel free to leave your remarks about how "hideous" it is but please be kind about it I worked hard on this site and I am a beginner. I had another website made entirely out of flash and it gained a lot of attention everyone thought it looked great. I however, felt i should change it to a more Search Engine friendly site so I created a new one which people don't seem to like very much. Any feedback is appreciated but PLEASE BE KIND thank you. http://www.subatomicdesign.co.cc/

Member #
    The pulsing letters to the left get old fast, and the images are all grainy, like they have been stretched larger than they are originally. Please, please, please load the navigation immediately, most visitors will leave if you don't have a way to get to the next page. When it comes to navigation, KISS, Keep It Super Simple, don't make people work or think about how to get around within your site, or they will simply move on.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    On the something nice to say side, this is an interface the competition will love you for. Keep it up. Don't change a thing.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    On the something nice to say side, this is an interface the competition will love you for. Keep it up. Don't change a thing.
    I had to read that a few times to make sure you were saying what I thought you were saying.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thank you for your input I decided to re design my site using some of your advice as well as others. Feel free to check out my new design and leave me some feedback on it. I really think I did a great job this time around. It is css and xhtml valid as well as great looking and fully functional. I have a few small bugs to work out but other than that let me know what you guys think. You can visit http://subatomicdesign.isgreat.org/ for validation.
    You have to view that web page directly to validate it because if you use the other url http://subatomicdesign.co.cc than it wont validate correctly im not sure why? Thanks again and have a great day!

Member #
    Still not a huge fan, but it is better than the last version. Flash should never be used for navigation.

Member #
    Flash should never be used for navigation.
    This is really, really important. Flash hinders accessibility not just for the visually impaired, but also for visitors on mobile devices. Users also hate being forced to wait for a menu to do its little animated dance before they can see the available options. The first thing they'll click is the back button.

I strongly suggest you try completing some tutorials on CSS-based web design. Good luck.

Member #
    Hi,

Seeing your site felt like experiencing a time machine that brought me back to the personal homepages of some late 90's predominant portals (Yahoo!, Altavista, AOL etc.) sections. The only clue that could indicate that we are in 2008 is the 9th version of Flash. Sorry, I had to say it. But after all, don't you advertise Web design on your site?

Back then we were experimenting with text alignments. The common mistake we'd make was to use the "justify" property for paragraphs. Now, I see you are using "center"... :nervous:

I thought that by now we had learned that serif fonts were used for the printed media, that we had to avoid white text on black/dark backgrounds, that a web page needs a DOCTYPE, and please do you really need frames in the 1st page's layout?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm afraid I don't like it much... as others have said it is very "retro", and in terms of the marketing message I think you're fairly ambitious in saying that nobody else can steal your designs... what precisely makes it harder for them to steal this one than other folks' products? "View Source" is not going to change regardless of whether you give the customers some secure area.

My advice would be...
    1. Lose the Flash and replace with simple navigation
    2. Create some design elements to make the site feel more "thought out"... centre-aligned single column feels "scraped together", as if you just "couldn't be bothered", and you're trying to sell design services so this is a signal you DO NOT want to be putting out. Perhaps have links to customer sites down the right hand side or something, just to break up that "cobbled together" feel.
    3. Folks like "bright and breezy"... black is depressing... you start thinking somebody has died, or we're about to go into some Gothic Horror...
    4. Serif fonts are bad news - they work really well in newspapers and newsletters, but not at all well on the web. Stick to sans-serif, something like Verdana.
    5. Don't waffle too much in your text. People bore quickly, and you don't half go on saying the same things over and over again. Stun them with your design skills and they'll come to you... so more pictures, less text for the sake of it.
    6. Don't make any promises you can't keep. Somebody may steal their design, but that's life... it's the web... sure, tell them that they'll get something unique when published, but don't pretend you can ensure it says so.
    7. Any reason why you have some of the styling inline and another in an external CSS file? This, again, looks "cobbled together" - avoid it. Your own website is your primary promotional tool - don't waste it.
    8. Give your styles SENSIBLE NAMES... things like "style1" mean nothing, and make people think they're generated. What's so wrong with "body-text", "blue-heading" etc. ??

Anyway, hope that's all of help.

Sean

Remove Ads