Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm trying to get out of Network/Technical Support and into Web Design. Not so much for Freelance work, but as a full time Web Designer working for a company. I'm having a really hard time getting interviews though, and I'm wondering if my resume site is hurting my chances. I've put on there some portfolio work, current projects and some design template examples - using HTML, CSS, Flash and PHP. I'm also just looking to start as a Jr Designer and work my way up from there. All the code I've learned is self taught, and I have started a Degree in Web Development which is going well.

Could anyone be brutally honest about my resume site, and maybe help me see why it's not helping me land a job in Web Design. Because all I see is a clean and simple design that gets the job done..

Thanks in advance!

Stewart. www.StewartHoffman.com

Member #
    Not good, please change the Site to something which is not out dated

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Core2Quad
    Not good, please change the Site to something which is not out dated
    Well, I guess I did ask for 'brutal' - thanks..

http://www.freewebs.com/shoffman3572/resume/NEW/

New design - better?

Note: links are not working yet and I need to alter my images to load quicker..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shoffman3572
    Well, I guess I did ask for 'brutal' - thanks..

http://www.freewebs.com/shoffman3572/resume/NEW/

New design - better?

Note: links are not working yet and I need to alter my images to load quicker..
    The site is ok in general, and probably gets you some business. But if applying for website companies i would probably go for a flash website. Look around on the web at templates etc. then get your ideas from that.

I usualy start my site again every 6 -12 months to keep it fresh.
    Either go very technical and information heavy or go artistic in flash.

Hope this helps

Member #
    It does look dated. That blue is awful (it is way too bright, especially with white text), and the shadows are too dark. Think subtle!

If you are going for a one page design, then you need a bit more info.

Rather than checking out template repositories, I would recommend checking out CSS galleries for inspiration... CSS Heaven, CSS Drive, CSS Tux, CSS Star are just a few.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shoffman3572
    Could anyone be brutally honest about my resume site, and maybe help me see why it's not helping me land a job in Web Design. Because all I see is a clean and simple design that gets the job done..
    I don't think that the design is outdated. It does however demonstrate a lack of experience in some ways. The biggest thing I see is how cold the site it. You need to be more focused toward your targeted viewers (possible employers) Most of these people are probably looking for an individual to hire rather than someone who owns a design firm (which is what I thought it was when I went to the link). The site design has a very corporate feel to it. Perhaps if you displayed at least one image of yourself on the front page, or artwork that defines your style.

The graphics also have a decidedly clip-art feel to them. I would recommend developing a design for your page that relies on more cohesive graphic elements. Try thinking about these things:
    -- a three color scheme rather than just blue and white. Also, try to be consistent in the particular kinds of blues, or greens or whatever you use.
    -- unique graphic elements forming the little things abotu your site, ie- the header or border of one of your little tables with content might have a rounded edge or a curlie thing, or something more attractive than a box.
    -- header / body font styles should be slightly differnet but consistant across the page.

I hope this helps.
    -Nathan Allen
    www.somethingdesigned.com
    Fayetteville, Arkansas

Member #
    Thank you very much. Your advise is very helpful.

Remove Ads